Answered

Configure LG OLED Magic Remote (2018) with Playbase

• 15 June 2018
  • 8 replies

Hello,

I have a LG Oled C8 and I want to pair the remote with my playbase so I can control the volume with the magic remote. I have read articles like this one, but I'm already stuck in the first part, because when I set up a sound bar with optical output, I never get the option to choose my manufacturer. The remote for the 2018 model is slightly different than the one is the article btw.

I choose optical and then I can only choose "Done" as you see here:

Can anyone help me please. It seems impossible that I can't properly use my sonos with a new TV. It's a 700€ product...

Thank you.
icon

Best answer by markymos 25 November 2018, 08:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Markymos’s solution works! THANK YOU! One thing I might add. In the Device Connector on the TV you may not hear anything after you select Phillips Type 3 and try to increase the volume. I didn’t. It was silent, but I just finshed the process. Then I went to the SONOS app and it recognized the remote immediately!

Good news. Please also see similar thread:
https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/how-to-connect-sonos-playbar-with-lg-oled-55c8pla-and-lg-magic-remote-an-mr18ba-6812371/index1.html#post16293275

For total clarity please note that in my instructions above the menu path should read Settings/Room//TV & Remote/Remote/Remote Control.
Markymos’s solution works! THANK YOU! One thing I might add. In the Device Connector on the TV you may not hear anything after you select Phillips Type 3 and try to increase the volume. I didn’t. It was silent, but I just finshed the process. Then I went to the SONOS app and it recognized the remote immediately!
Hello
I have a LG 55B8PLA. I am not able to connect the Remote Control with the Playbase. There is no drop-down menu device connector menu in the TV wehre I can choose the manufacturer and the type of the remote control.
Userlevel 2
Markymos - I bought the 65” telly and have the same issue. If anyone has a solution that would be great!

After a long struggle I've suceeded in enabling the volume keys on my AN-MR18BA remote to control my Sonos Playbar connected to my LG OLED55C8PLA TV.

After setting the manufacturer to Philips/remote type 4 (other manufacturers like Bose also work but don't always enable the Mute button) I then used the Sonos app functionality on my android phone to 'replace the current remote' in menu Settings/TV & Remote/Remote/Remote Control Setup and enabled all the check boxes to use infra-red (IR) in menu Settings/TV & Remote/Remote.

Ensure the TV is set to Optical. The remote indicator light will flash on the Playbar when any of the remote's volume related keys are pressed (up, down and mute).
Markymos - I bought the 65” telly and have the same issue. If anyone has a solution that would be great!
Userlevel 2
I have the LG OLED55C8PLA with remote AN-MR18BA (includes the Netflix and Amazon buttons) and cannot get the volume control on the remote to control the Sonos Playbar volume. What remote model came with your C8 TV? Thanks.
Hello,

I have a LG Oled C8 and I want to pair the remote with my playbase so I can control the volume with the magic remote. I have read articles like this one, but I'm already stuck in the first part, because when I set up a sound bar with optical output, I never get the option to choose my manufacturer. The remote for the 2018 model is slightly different than the one is the article btw.

I choose optical and then I can only choose "Done" as you see here:

Can anyone help me please. It seems impossible that I can't properly use my sonos with a new TV. It's a 700€ product...

Thank you.

25 Jul 18

I have the new LG OLED65C8 and the magic remote......i use it to turn off/on TV, my Directv box and I can control the volume.......I was having the same trouble as you, but followed the process described below.......everything works perfectly.....there is some learning to see what button on the remote control guide and "last" channel.....you have to do exactly what the Sonos rep said: pick "ANY" manufacturer for the remote and "remote 1................also, remember to go to the Sonos app and set up the remote there too.....hope you can get it working....i am happy with my results

OKU
Hi there, belstijn. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. If you are still having trouble, it seems that it might be best to give our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time with you. They can walk through the menus step-by-step and leave no stone unturned. Thanks!