Answered

(Completely) New TV + Sonos Set Up Advice Sought

• 24 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Greetings, I am preparing to set up a completely new TV room and I could use a small piece of advice.  First details, then a couple of questions for anyone willing to help . . . 

-TV (Sony A80J) is being delivered later this week
-Sonos (Beam Gen2, Sub + two S:1s) is sitting in boxes currently, will be connected via eARC
-Ancillaries will also be tossed into the mix:  Sony BRP, Dish Satellite Receiver + OTA antennae

Questions:

-Which should be set up first, the TV or the Sonos system?

-Should I connect everything & plug into electric outlets prior to setting anything/everything up?

-Any particular pain points or cautions that would be good to know?

-Also, is there any value in allowing the TV to do its thing sound-wise along with Sonos?  The TV has decently good native sound (or so I’m told) and I guess I’m wondering if allowing the TV to emit sound along with the Sonos equipment offers some extra “oomph” or if it is best to just forget about this idea?

For what it’s worth, I will be using the Sonos equipment as a home theater setup but also to enjoy music.  I’ve done my research and I’m feeling quite comfy with the Sonos setup itself, once it is time for that.  I have also done some searching online for answers to the above, but I’ve only come up with advice on the likes of adding a new TV to an existing Sonos system.  I’m sure the guidance I seek is out there somewhere, but it hasn’t turned up easily and I thought this might be the best place to ask.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 24 January 2022, 05:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Guitar, thank you so much.  This is exactly the advice I was seeking.  Much appreciated!

Userlevel 7

Which should be set up first, the TV or the Sonos system?

Set up the TV first. Then set up the Beam and run TV Setup in the Sonos app. Set up the Sub next. Then set up the Ones last. The setup process is easy. Just follow the instructions in the Sonos app.

Should I connect everything & plug into electric outlets prior to setting anything/everything up?

Follow the order mentioned above and set up and connect each device individually.

Any particular pain points or cautions that would be good to know?

Be sure Bravia Sync (CEC) is enabled in your TV settings before you run TV Setup in the Sonos app. Use the HDMI cable that came with the Beam. Wait to connect your external devices to the TV until after the Beam has been successfully connected. If you have an iOS device, after you set up everything and everything is working correctly, perform Trueplay tuning in the Sonos app.

Also, is there any value in allowing the TV to do its thing sound-wise along with Sonos?  The TV has decently good native sound (or so I’m told) and I guess I’m wondering if allowing the TV to emit sound along with the Sonos equipment might offer some extra “oomph” or if it is best to just forget about this idea?

When you connect a soundbar to the TV, the TV speakers will not be used.