Question

cant get Dolby DD+ with non ATMOS content on Sonos ARC connected to Apple TV 4k

• 17 June 2020
  • 0 replies

Hi all, this is my first post in like 10 years so be gentle! But after days of updating my knowledge of sound formats etc. I wanted to check if I’ve figured this out! 

I have a new Sonos Arc, 

Connected to an LG B7 OLED (via HDMI Arc) 

which is connected to an Apple TV4k. 

I can get Dolby Atmos content playing fine from Netflix, Prime etc. And Infuse, all from my ATV 4K. 
but when I play Dolby Digital plus (E-AC3) non Atmos content on Infuse it defaults to DD 5.1 on my Sonos app. 

Ive tried every conceivable combination of settings Across the tv and ATV to get Dolby Digital plus to show in my Sonos app, when watching non atmos DD+ content, but no go. 

If I use the Onboard apps like Netflix etc I also get Atmos as with the ATV...  BUT if I use the onboard Tv version of Plex to play the same non atmos DD+ files, I get Dolby Digital plus showing in my Sonos app! 

So I think the answer is this.. but wanted to check I wasn’t kidding myself. 

The  ATV 4K carries Atmos (specifically) using MAT and this is spotted by the Sonos ARC sound bar which plays it accordingly. 
When it comes to Non Atmos DD+ content, the onboard app uses a bitstream, which the Sonos Arc recognises and shows in the app, 

but the ATV outputs the same files as audio via LPCM. Which the ARC sound bar doesn’t support. (This is where I’m not sure!)

I think I’ve seen Sonos say they are going to add this in the future. 

so three questions  

1. Will this mean for me, (someone with ARC HDMI and not EARC) that when this update comes to the Sonos ARC I can get non atmos Dolby digital plus content from my ATV to play on the Sonos Arc sound bar ? 
  2. If so, what will show in the app ? 
  3. On the Sonos Arc, what is the benefit of non Atmos Dolby Digital plus ? Is it more channels, or better quality ? 

I hope I’ve been clear, thanks in advance !!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.