Answered

Can you use a Play 5 as a sub for your 5.1 surround set-up?

• 22 August 2019
  • 8 replies

Hi -

I have a Sonos Beam and 2 Play 1's with no sub in my average size living room. I think the sounds is generally great for my room, except for the Sonos Beam sometimes sounds muddled and a bit overworked when listening to bass heavy music or movies - it really produces better mid-bass sounds, especially at volume. I'd love to take some of the bass load off of the Play1's and the Beam.

I want to add a sub, but for my space, the Sonos Sub is crazy overkill, I live in SF where our house touches our neighbors house - I don't think they'd love the sub.

So my question - can I rig a Play 5 to act as a sub? I am sure if I add it to the mix, it will help with bass for music, but can this also be incorporated into movie/TV surround sound?

Thoughts? and Thanks!

Zulfi
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 3 September 2019, 15:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Hi. I don't think this would work that well. It won't sync perfectly for TV sound. It will probably add some bass to the mix but where are you going to put it? Anywhere other than front center will probably create distracting directional issues.

Finally, if it did work work well enough to be worthwhile you'd be back to the same issue with the neighbours!

The Sub can be 'toned down' so that you get some bass quality without making the entire building shake. And the neighbors have to go on holiday sometime.....

If you buy direct from Sonos, you have loads of time to try the Sub and you can return it if it doesn't prove practical. But I think the acoustic results would be far superior to trying to use a Play:5 as a sub(stitute).
Userlevel 7
Hi Zwolf

I agree with @John B. If you have an iOS device or can borrow one you can use Trueplay to tune all speakers in a HT setup as a unit (i.e. Beam with sub and Play 1's bonded to it). When you think about it a Play 5 is $599 vs at Sub at $699..I think you see my point. 🤔

Note: Just in case you didn't know....The Play:1's when used as surrounds can be set to auto-switch to FULL ON speakers for music and auto-switch back to surround mode when the music stops.😎

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
The sub does add bass but it’s not overpowering in default setting. It just fills out and adds depth to music, and of course puts some oomph into movie effects.

The app let’s you increase or decrease the sub level, and you also have the bass/treble settings too.

Since the sub sub is designed to provide “sound” rather than “vibration” I think you’ll benefit and the neighbours will stay happy.
Thanks for all the perspective - the sub feels like such a waste, but I hear you that i can be tuned to match the beam.

Anyone hear anything about the Sonos Sub Core - I guess there are rumors of a smaller sub better suited to the beam user?
I’ve seen several requests for a smaller SUB, but absolutely no credible rumors about such a device.
What’s the best way to let Sonos know there is demand for this product?
Hi. I don't think this would work that well. It won't sync perfectly for TV sound. It will probably add some bass to the mix but where are you going to put it? Anywhere other than front center will probably create distracting directional issues.

Finally, if it did work work well enough to be worthwhile you'd be back to the same issue with the neighbours!

The Sub can be 'toned down' so that you get some bass quality without making the entire building shake. And the neighbors have to go on holiday sometime.....

If you buy direct from Sonos, you have loads of time to try the Sub and you can return it if it doesn't prove practical. But I think the acoustic results would be far superior to trying to use a Play:5 as a sub(stitute).

Just caught the clever last line - 🤣
What’s the best way to let Sonos know there is demand for this product?

Not sure there is a best way. Posting here, FB, instagram, or whatever other methods Sonos has for contacting them are all close to equally good. Although I'd say anything that can be publicly viewed by others who may agree with you doesn't hurt.

Ultimately though, I would guess marketing data is going to have more weight. They aren't going to produce a product if the data doesn't show that they can sell enough to make a profit. Or possibly, if a smaller sub would take away sales from the current sales, possibly at a lower profit margin.