Answered

Can I Turn Off the GUI Onscreen Volume Adjust Overlay

• 26 August 2022
  • 3 replies

I find the on-screen graphical user interface volume control overlay to be quite annoying while adjusting the volume up or down during a program or movie. I really don’t understand why it’s there at all, as it does not even give a sound level? Is there a way to turn this off? Thank you for your replies!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 August 2022, 20:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

That’s something controlled by the TV set, and not Sonos. You’d need to check your TV’s manual (although I have very little hope for you there) or contact the manufacturer of the TV. 

Your remote is telling the TV to adjust the volume, the TV tells the Sonos via CEC (ARC), the Sonos reports back that it has adjusted the volume, and that controller is then displaying the information on the TV’s screen. Sonos is not sending any UI elements to the TV, only a confirmation that it’s done what it was told to do. 

I find the on-screen graphical user interface volume control overlay to be quite annoying while adjusting the volume up or down during a program or movie.

Why is it annoying? If you didn’t have a soundbar connected wouldn’t the TV display a volume level overlay of some kind? 

If you really feel the need to banish it you could always control the Arc using infra-red, having configured the remote to control a different make of TV so as to stop your TV from reacting.

Thank you all! This makes sense now. I’ll try the remote work around.