Answered

Can I get surround on a 5.1 setup grouped to Roam Bluetooth?

• 8 July 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

I have a Sonos Roam that is Bluetooth linked to an Amazon firestick for movies outside in my backyard. The firestick is connected to a projector. 

I grouped my Sonos moves as a stereo pair in the front and a sub and two play 1’s in the back for a more immersive sound. It sounded awesome with no audio latency lag. 

I'm wondering if I have a beam, sub, and two play 1’s if that is transferable to play audio in a 5.1 set up outside being grouped to the roams Bluetooth or if the Bluetooth portion limits that capability. 

I've heard of connecting an Apple TV outside to it through all Wi-Fi but i also don't know if the beam isn't connected directly into a tv if it can send out a 5.1 sound over Wi-Fi. 

Anyone have any insights on these two possible set ups?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

icon

Best answer by jgatie 8 July 2022, 21:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Bluetooth is stereo only.  Even if it wasn’t, the Roam is stereo only and since it would be the source of the grouped audio, all grouped rooms would be in stereo. 

As to the Apple TV, it would be using Airplay, which is also stereo only.

In short, the only way to play 5.1 surround sound on Sonos is through an HDMI ARC/eARC or optical connection.