Question

Can Amp + Sonos One replace Sound Bar.

• 11 November 2020
  • 3 replies

I am trying to avoid a sound bar with my new TV set up. I purchased the Amp and connected it to my TV. I am unable to use passive front speakers without having wires show. I was hoping to instead use Sonos Ones on either side and connect wirelessly. I can get the speakers to play TV sound on the network and it sounds fine but the Ones must be controlled through my phone app and won’t respond to my tv remote which is paired with the Amp. My question is, is there a way to wirelessly connect Sonos One speakers to the Amp as front speakers so that my tv remote can control the front Sonos One speakers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry, no. The Amp can drive two passive speakers, either as fronts or rears. Other Sonos speakers that are not soundbars can only be used as rear speakers.

What you probably have done is group the One's with the Amp. This will result in some delay and you will not have a phantom center channel as you would have had with the Amp driving passive speakers.  You seem to be using the Amp as an (expensive) way to get TV-sound into the Sonos environment.

I agree completely with @106rallye .  You have spent a lot of money on a good amplifier and then aren’t using it to amplify anything.  This really isn’t the way to go.  A few feet of speaker cable needn’t be too obtrusive, and rear speakers can be wireless.  Your current setup is a very expensive way of achieving a mediocre result.

Thanks so much for the input. Borrowed the speakers from elsewhere in the house to see if this would work but will now buy two passive front speakers and consider additional Sonos speakers for the back. Hope to add a turntable to the Amp soon so hopefully the Amp was a good investment either way!