Broken playbar optical port

• 2 July 2020
  • 1 reply

I broke the optical port on my playbar some time ago by pushing the optical lead in too hard and the door broke off. Having messed around with blutack and sticky tape to try to keep the optical lead in place unsatisfactorily, I have recently done a more permanent fix that I would like to share. It involves two things: i) a right angle or 90 degree SPDIF/Toslink connector (get it on Amazon), ii) Milliput epoxy putty (also available on Amazon). The aim is to bond the connector rigidly to the back to the Playbar.

Step 1: The putty is like Plasticine, but it sets hard. There are two sticks in the packet and you have to knead them together to activate the putty. You need about 1 inch of each (has to be equal amounts) to do this. Knead them to until the putty is malleable and uniform in colour.

Step 2: Put the optical lead in the right angle connector and hold it in the broken optical port to check that you can hear sound through it and it is working.

Step 3: Turn the Playbar face down so that the optical port is facing up. run a bead of the putty about ¼ thick round the edge of the optical port hole and firm it down, BUT DO NOT put the putty in hole itself, either now or at any stage during this repair - you want to keep that hole intact. Hold the optical connector in the hole and ensure sound is passing through correctly. Whilst holding it in place, begin to support it in place by running putty across it and up and down it and pushing it firmly onto the beading round the hole. Do this until the whole of the connector is enclosed and supported in place, BUT DO NOT cover the top of connector where the optical lead enters it. You want to be able to remove the optical lead in future in the event that it gets damaged. You should also ensure that the putty does not stray into the other sockets on the back of the playbar. On the assumption that you have got the connector in place, firmly supported by the putty and that it is still correctly aligned so that it is passing sound through, just leave it to harden. It takes about 4 hours, but ideally leave it for 24 hours. You might also want to tape the optical cable in place temporarily to stop it moving, but make sure that it doesn’t move the connector out of line and you lose the sound pass through.

That is it. Job done. When the putty is hard you can turn your Playbar round carefully so that it now facing forward. Mine has been working flawlessly since I did this repair.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @DaveJ_1.

Thank you for reaching out.

That's a very good suggestion that you have here.

Many of our Sonos folks here in the community will surely appreciate your efforts.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.