Answered

bluetooth headphones

• 12 December 2019
  • 3 replies

Hello. I have just bought a Beam for my Samsung Q70 tv. Without the Beam my husband can use his Bluetooth headphones at the same time as the TV speaker which is ideal for our situation. With the Beam this is impossible as stated elsewhere in previous topics. My question is can I use the optical output from the TV with an adapter to connect his old headphones, (Sennheiser RS120, which have a RCA jack connector) at the same time as the HDMI Arc to the Beam. The problem being that even with voice enhancement on the Beam he still has trouble distinguishing voices at times and it would be useful at night when he stays up later than me. I can buy an adapter and try it anyway, then return the adapter if it doesn’t work, but I just wondered if anyone has already tried this?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by ratty 12 December 2019, 13:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I am pretty sure that the Optical out from the TV continues to work regardless of what is plugged into the other TV ports.  The only issue i see with the optical to headphone adapters is that there is no way to adjust the volume level, but the bluetooth headphones will have that capability.

It should work so give it a try!

The choices are:

1. a cheap optical-to-RCA DAC to feed the RS120 base station
  2. an optically connected Bluetooth transmitter

In both cases the headphones would require their own volume control. The TV’s optical out is at a fixed level.

Personally I’d go for option 2, assuming the Bluetooth headphones are decent ones with aptX Low Latency support. Obviously the transmitter would also need aptX-LL.

If the Bluetooth headphones don’t support aptX-LL, and lip-sync is a sensitive issue, then go for option 1.

Thank you. The bluetooth headphones are cheapos so option 1 might be better.