Blu Ray player that converts to Dolby Digital 5.1

• 24 March 2016
  • 56 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Someone mentioned much earlier in this thread (> 1 year ago) that the recommended 4k player models were no longer made.

FYI - for others looking for a solution to the "DTS problem", I just purchased the Samsung UBD-M8500. It has the option to convert DTS audio to Dolby Digital. For this purpose, I recommend this model.
I can _finally_ listen to all of my Blu-ray (and DVD) disks that only have DTS!! (05/21/2019)

For those of us with a lot of DVD and Blu-ray (more than I care to admit) it seems a little absurd to have a $1800 surround sound system and have to go out and spend a couple hundred more if we actually want to _hear_ our DVD's and Blu-rays. < / Whining >

So I'll stop my whining and enjoy the setup!! (For music, the system has been great! Awesome flexibility for multiple rooms with stereo pairing setups!!)

-Brad

Does this decode dts 5.1 and make it playable on sonos in surround (Dolby digital 5.1 presumably)?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Maybe a bit late in this old threat, but Oppo makes (made) some great Blu-Ray players that convert almost everything (both video and audio) in several formats, even over selectable types of connections.
Highly recommended.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Agreed,

I have been through two Oppo's. I send the first one to move up the the UDP(Universal Disc Player)-203.
It decodes everything to what you want. Pam sure they would be hard to find but eBay is always a try or audiogon.com is another place to try. Do your research before purchasing any of the pre-owned players. If you can find an Oppo, I would buy it.
Badge +1

Someone mentioned much earlier in this thread (> 1 year ago) that the recommended 4k player models were no longer made.

FYI - for others looking for a solution to the "DTS problem", I just purchased the Samsung UBD-M8500. It has the option to convert DTS audio to Dolby Digital. For this purpose, I recommend this model.
I can _finally_ listen to all of my Blu-ray (and DVD) disks that only have DTS!! (05/21/2019)

For those of us with a lot of DVD and Blu-ray (more than I care to admit) it seems a little absurd to have a $1800 surround sound system and have to go out and spend a couple hundred more if we actually want to _hear_ our DVD's and Blu-rays. < / Whining >

So I'll stop my whining and enjoy the setup!! (For music, the system has been great! Awesome flexibility for multiple rooms with stereo pairing setups!!)

-Brad
Does this decode dts 5.1 and make it playable on sonos in surround (Dolby digital 5.1 presumably)?
Badge +1

-Brad

That is my assumption. I'm not a real audiophile and have no way of testing.
However, I can say that I went back to a DVD that previously had no sound (through Sonos) and checked that the blu-ray player said it was DTS 7.1.
The audio not only works in Sonos - but it provides the complete surround sound experience. (Tidal wave crashing front to back and helicopters flying from front left to back right -- matching the visuals perfectly!
Badge +1
I was in the same boat until I bought that little German box with the dip switches on it. I at least get a Dolby 5.1 conversion..."

Do you mind sharing what this specifically refers to ("Little German box")? - Thank you.