Answered

Bitstream audio lag on Xbox One X (but not for tv or when playing blu-rays)

• 13 February 2020
  • 6 replies

I have my Xbox One X connected via HDMI to a Phillips 50PUS7304/12 TV, which is connected via optical audio to a Sonos Playbase. I want to keep the main audio to the Sonos from my TV for the movie apps on it like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video etc..

I don’t experience any audio lag when watching anything directly from my TV.

If the Xbox audio output over the HDMI is set to stereo uncompressed it's absolutely fine, except that I want better than stereo. It won't accept being set to 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed (for this I'm just assuming it's because the TV isn't really made to be a high-end audio receiver which is fair). If I set it to bitstream out, the Dolby DTS setting is accepted but no sound comes out (presumably because Sonos don’t support it), while the Dolby Digital and Dolby Atmos settings both have a noticeable lag (maybe up to a second).

I have exactly the same issues when using the optical output directly from the Xbox to the Playbase, the only difference being that Atmos isn’t an option.

If within the bitstream settings I set the Xbox to “allow the audio receiver to decode blu-ray audio”, this lag disappears when playing blu-rays. However, it still exists for doing anything else on the Xbox. Why is this and what can I do to fix it?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 15 February 2020, 22:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Hello @thematia. Welcome to the community. I understand that are experiencing some issues when playing audio from your Xbox to your Playbase. I would like to have you submit a diagnostic of your system while it is playing audio from the Xbox, and then reply back with the confirmation number. This will allow is to see what kind of signal your Playbase is getting, and help provide a resolution.

I did it twice, so this one is for playing a game (where the audio is lagging): 1291227358

This one is for watching blu-ray (where the audio is not lagging): 1630165868

Thank you. The Playbase is getting the same audio signal from both sources, so we know it is not an issue with the audio format. It seems to me like the TV is having a hard time processing the audio from the Xbox to the Playbase.

Is the Audio coming before the picture, or is it coming after the picture?

The audio is coming after the picture. It’s also exactly the same issue when using the optical output directly from the Xbox (i.e. not via the tv), so is this more likely an issue with the Xbox itself?

That is correct. If the Audio was ahead of the video, we could slow down our processing. However, by the time the Xbox sends us the audio signal, it is already behind.

I recommend rebooting your Xbox to see if that helps. If you still run into issues, you may have to consult Microsoft to see if then can help you disable any additional audio processing. You can find their contact information here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My Xbox Blu-ray player does the same on my Playbar and i gave up with it for shiny discs, I use my 360 instead. Other Xbox games etc are fine, but shiny discs are not. Ironic as I work on the Xbox team (thought not in Audio).