Answered

best way to convert DTS to DD for Sonos Arc with LG C9

• 11 August 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Hi, so this may have been answered before but I couldn’t find it, so apologies - also, all this codec stuff is confusing as hell.

Basically, I have a decent amount of Blu-rays and even some 4K Blu-rays that are encoded in DTS/DTS-HD. I have a Sony UBP-X700 player connected to LG C9 Via HDMI, LG C9 connected to Sonos Arc (+sub+one sl surrounds) via hdmi using eArc connection on the LG.

As it stands, the only way to get sound from DTS discs is to set the TV to output PCM and that results in basic 2.0 stereo (annoying). I understand LG C9 has an available update that will output multichannel PCM, but the Arc doesn’t currently support this. So I haven’t yet updated the tv.

So the questions are: if Sonos releases an update to support multi PCM, will this solve all my problems and the DTS will be converted by the LG to multi PCM and give me surround sound?

alternatively, if Sonos don’t provide the update, or it wouldnt actually work like that… is there another solution for those particular discs? I’ve seen mentions of the Xbox one x being able to do this conversion… would I be best just purchasing one to solve all this?

if I’ve completely got my wires crossed over how audio conversions will happen/work, sorry!

icon

Best answer by Briinthesky 12 August 2020, 17:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I have an oppo203 but it can't transcode DTS over HDMI, only optical I think, so I have just been watching my discs in DTS in stereo which personally I find ok.

I have also used my xbox x to play any DTS discs as this does indeed transcode them to dolby digital 5.1, but as I also game on it, I get fed up having to change the settings all the time, such as disabling freesync (VRR) on my LG CX. Which is why I just settle with stereo for any disc in DTS.

I to also wonder what exactly this Sonos ARC LPCM update will do.

Badge +1

I have an oppo203 but it can't transcode DTS over HDMI, only optical I think, so I have just been watching my discs in DTS in stereo which personally I find ok.

I have also used my xbox x to play any DTS discs as this does indeed transcode them to dolby digital 5.1

So if I had an Xbox one X I could output DTS discs as DD5.1 over HDMI and play my discs that way? Which is a pricey solution, but still a solution at least!

If I didn’t have the sub and surrounds I’d maybe just accept the 2.0 stereo but it seems such a waste, so keen to find a way to convert/output the DTS in a surround format Sonos can work with

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I have also used my xbox x to play any DTS discs as this does indeed transcode them to dolby digital 5.1

So if I had an Xbox one X I could output DTS discs as DD5.1 over HDMI and play my discs that way? Which is a pricey solution, but still a solution at least!

If I didn’t have the sub and surrounds I’d maybe just accept the 2.0 stereo but it seems such a waste, so keen to find a way to convert/output the DTS in a surround format Sonos can work with

Ive only played a few DTS discs via my xbox x, but it did transcode them to DD 5.1 over hdmi.

Maybe you could pick up an xbox x cheap 2nd hand, people will start selling them soon with new consoles coming later in year.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You don’t need an Xbox One X, an Xbox One S will also transcode DTS .(Don’t try the one without a disc drive though!)

Badge +1

You don’t need an Xbox One X, an Xbox One S will also transcode DTS .(Don’t try the one without a disc drive though!)

Am I correct in thinking the One S isn’t 4K disc compatible though? Whereas the One X is?

Though it mainly seems HD Blurays that are in DTS/DTS-HD there are a few UHD discs as well

Am I correct in thinking the One S isn’t 4K disc compatible though? Whereas the One X is?

Though it mainly seems HD Blurays that are in DTS/DTS-HD there are a few UHD discs as well

One of the large selling points for the S model was the 4k blu ray drive. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The S can do 4k UHD playback. It can’t do 4k games though, for that you need the X.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi

I have lots of DTS discs, didn’t even think about this when I ordered the ARC.

I don’t have an Xbox so after a bit of research found that Samsung 4K players can be set to transcode DTS to DD 5.1

After a bit of looking on eBay I managed to get a Samsung M9000 for a good price (lot less than xbox) and now have it set to output DD 5.1 and it works a treat.

Badge +1

I’ll second that about samsung 4k players.. I bought this one a couple years ago and it outputs dolby 5.1 from DTS very effectively, easy to set up

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1NPMCS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(I imagine there’s a newer model that’s easier to find)