Best placement of rear speakers in my room

• 3 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Dear Community,

I need an advice on my future surround setup. I have Sonos Arc and want to add a pair of rear speakers connected to Sonos Amp. I’m in doubts what would be the best option and location for the rear speakers in my room. I’m considering Sonos In-ceiling, vs. Sonos in-wall pair of speakers vs. a pair of SONOS ONE on stands. Please suggest what would be the best option in my setup.

Option #1. Sonos In-ceiling connected to an AMP.

QILEq7c4vc74TdkY5h_AhgXatlpou6eR3aSwbYN_ODTbxUTn8wFWtSpXJJhcYInMlgGwxqwrdiSBH4NGehuCkst41xjY5i05tfikVeEu5vTmutYnRATweBP7QxJ1I2w8Cj-PJDnI

Option #2. Sonos In-wall connected to an AMP.

6LeMxsmdjpGa6aPWWKlV9flD8pXG250mtSTu5B_uCR9JG-D9vJmoY_lc_ElwMigc_Ej2OKoMDYzqZ4tiZyRvArZ1CCy0pH3v-vcmyCEooK3oRXAwxDyRq6C_QU0EOZ1UPPoq01Rc

Option #3. A pair of Sonos One:s ?

The other alternative is just add a pair of Sonos one on stands close to the sofa.

3PLG-Ej8B7fefQubV18ikNoLLf--iO7wtok0rHLZ33M3bnM5DlKf72I01UX6DUJiSj-DB0-4d3UD6Pveyw_z6uKd4JdAiHgl4fQYwNrPfNmNlsmguZaz5Y7xj0FkNWKp7ioJUw3I

I’m leaning towards 3rd option as it’s the easiest and cheapest one, but not sure about quality of the surround. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!

/Pavlo

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Options 2 and 3 would be the best because it allows you to place the speakers near ear level which is ideal placement for surrounds. Option 2 would be the cleaner look, but it is much more expensive than option 3. So I would go with option 3. I use Play:1s on speaker stands as surrounds with my Arc and they sound great.

Tip: Save money by using the One SLs instead of the Ones. The microphones on the Ones cannot be used when they are connected as surround speakers.

@GuitarSuperstar thanks for reply!

Also consider wall mounting the Ones on either side of the couch.  It’s what I did, and I feel it’s a cleaner look than stands.  I used these:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/shelf-one-play1

And if you want to go all out, you can get the following to route wiring inside the walls:

Sanus In-Wall Cable Kit

Sonos sells short power cables for the run from the speaker to the top outlet.  Or Amazon has some that are even shorter.