Beam x Arc x Amp as a Home Theater setup

• 5 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello,

This topic is in continuation of this one.

I currently have a 5.0 setup with Beam and 2 Ones.

The “problem” is that my room is very wide and I get the impression that the soundstage generated by the Beam is too narrow.

I initially thought that upgrading to an Arc was the only option (having the risk of not being wide enough), but it was pointed out that an Amp could also be a solution whilst keeping my Ones. In any case, the Beam would need to be sold or moved, of course.

I was checking the prices for the Amp and wired speakers and got to this conclusion (considering, of course, “regular” ordinary speakers, nothing too fancy or professional):

Cheapest option (5.0): Arc only

Medium option (4.1 or 4.0): Amp + wired bookshelf speakers + wired sub or Amp + floorstanding speakers)

Too expensive option (5.1): Arc + Sub

*I am, of course, considering the fact that I already own 2 Ones.

I was checking the forum and I saw that the Amp as a home theater is not a very frequent solution. What’s your take on this?

Also, if I go with the Amp, what’s your take on sub x floorstanding?

And finally, I know that having a sub depends on the room, which audio I’m aiming for, taste, etc. And I know that a well EQed (TruePlayed) Sonos system has better than average bass, but how much should I want a sub?

By the way, I’m “disregarding” the Atmos future proofing factor here. It can, of course, influence the decision.

Thanks in advance and cheers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

I think you should consider a fourth option… adding a Sonos Sub to your current Beam/Ones setup to complete your 5.1 system. Adding a subwoofer will make a significant difference to the overall sound of a home theater setup and is usually considered more important than adding surround speakers.

And when you are ready, you could always replace the Beam with an Arc in the future and have a 5.1.2 setup.

Badge

I think you should consider a fourth option… adding a Sonos Sub to your current Beam/Ones setup to complete your 5.1 system. Adding a subwoofer will make a significant difference to the overall sound of a home theater setup and is usually considered more important than adding surround speakers.

And when you are ready, you could always replace the Beam with an Arc in the future and have a 5.1.2 setup.

And without accounting for any money that I could make selling the Beam, this is actually the cheapest option. Thanks for that. =)

It just hurts me to pay so much on it. Maybe I should try to find a second hand one or refurb.

Is there any significant change between 2nd and 3rd gens?

Userlevel 7

The Gen 2 and Gen 3 Subs basically look and sound the same. The Gen 3 has updated internals, a different “Join” button, and will give you the option to add a second Sub to your system in the future. The Gen 3 is also only compatible with the Sonos S2 app. A used or refurbished Sub would be a good way to save some money.