Answered

Beam will not emit television audio

Hi! My Beam is playing music, and will turn on and off my Samsung TV...but it isn't playing the tv sound. For just a second my TV sound plays through the TV and then stops. I am using the HDMi connection.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 30 July 2018, 22:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Did you mean the TV sound plays through the TV or through the Beam?

You may want to review this and see if anything might apply. https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/enabling-cec-on-your-tv-for-beam-6810049

If it's still not working right, I'd submit a diagnostic and post the number here (or call tech support)

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US
It plays through the tv for just a second and then silence. Thanks for the link, it followed that and still nothing. Odd though it is connected and controlling the tv...but no sound. I'll submit a diagnostic
Todd
Controlling the TV is CEC, while audio through the HDMI to Beam is ARC. Are you sure your Beam is connected to the ARC labeled HDMI port on your TV? That could explain what you're seeing.

You may also want to try and setup the TV audio again. You can go to More -> Settings -> Room Settings -> Your Beam room -> TV Setup.
Got it! Had to switch things around and it it works! Thanks so much!
Todd
Badge
I have the same problem. Can play music, turn on tv, and change channel, but the Bewm WILL NOT okay tv audio. TV settings are correctly set up. Have rebooted and tired everything.
Can we assume you meant "the Beam with not play" tv audio?

Have you attempted to unplug the power from the TV, wait a minute, and then plug it back in? I don't mean turning off the TV with the remote, I mean actually unplugging it from the wall.
I have similar symptoms with the Beam that I just purchased. No problems setting the speaker up on my home network and it plays music perfectly. Configured Alexa and I'm able to turn the TV on and off through voice commands. However there is no TV sound. If I unplug the HDMI cable from the ARC port, the TV sound returns to the television speakers, but as soon as I plug the cord back into the ARC port, silence. Looks like the guy who started this thread was able to switch some things around and fixed his issue. Would be nice to know what he did. By the way, my TV is a Samsung model UN55JS8500FXZA, purchased in 2015. Does anyone have information what Tad401 did to fix his issue?
Did you guys solve your issues ? I got the same issues today, and have tried everything. Reset Beam, reinstalling TV, do the HDMI re-handshake (yes I took out all cables). I only got the Beam connected to the TV (HDMI Arc).

I have a similar problem. Beam will not play tv sound which comes from a Humax Freesat box. It will play Netflix, Youtube, internet etc sound but reverts to tv speakers for tv.

I am having the same issue. woke up this morning and Beam would not play tv audio but would play music. 

Try unplugging your TV from the wall for two minutes, then plug it back in. After plugging it back in, wait a minute, then test.

It might be worth double checking to see if there’s a software update for the TV, as well.

Hey there,

had the same issue but managed to sort it out.

Tv is an older Samsung Smart (UE46ES8000).

After a number of attempts with the App saying all was well - bit still no sound; i tried fiddling with Samsung Audio options.

First weird thing, once the Beam was physically connected, most of the Samsung Audio menu gets disabled. Only way to get options back, was pull the ARC and disconnect/restart the tv.

Once back on, with Samsung menus restored, switched the tv to internal speaker only, then Reset the audio settings for good measure.

This done, went through the Sonos App Tv Setup again, reconnected ARC and voila!, suddenly started working.