Answered

Beam TV audio breifly cuts out about 1-2 times an hour.

• 12 September 2020
  • 7 replies

I have my Sonos Beam connected via ARC to my Vizio smart TV.  I noticed recently the Beam audio will cut out few a few seconds before resuming.  This only occurs for TV audio (streaming or cable).  Playing music from the Sonos app or through Google Assistant is great and without interruption.

I’ve swapped the ARC HDMI cable but have the same results.  I changed some audio output settings on the TV (currently Dolby 5.1) and still the same issue.  Sometimes the audio cut out happens more frequently, but usually it’s 1-2 times per hour.  

I tried rebooting the Sonos by unplugging it.  Rebooting the router (its attached via Ethernet cable with WiFi turned off), and rebooting the TV.  All the devices software is up to date.  Nothing has stopped the audio from occasionally cutting out.  

Any suggestions as to what might be happening!

-Peter

icon

Best answer by pkenny2385 17 September 2020, 18:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @pkenny2385.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the troubleshooting steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

Kindly submit a diagnostic report preferably when it occurs, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out.

Annazel,

Thanks for the assistance.  I’ve submitted 2 diagnostic reports tonight.  One while there was temporarily no sound (lasted for a few seconds) and one just after while sound was normal again.

No Sound:  803062483

Sound Returned: 1441758777

Just to give you some more information.  I noticed this afternoon the sound rarely cut out, however tonight the sound seems to cut out for 2-3 seconds every few minutes. 

I switched the TV audio output to the TVs built in factory speakers, and the sound did not cut out.

One more thing.  I had the TV’s factory speakers set to “off” before.  I’ve now switched it to “auto”, and when the Sonos sound cuts out the TV switches the sound output to the factory speakers.  After a few seconds the sound switches back to the Sonos.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @pkenny2385.

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate your effort and patience working through this.

I reviewed the diagnostic report, it shows that when you’re not getting sound it is because the audio signal was not received by the Beam.

The other diagnostic that was triggered when the sound returned, the audio signal received by the Beam was detected by the system.

You can identify what active audio signals the Beam receives, it can be found within the Sonos app by navigating to Settings > About My Sonos > Audio-In.

Note: If changes are made to the audio output format of the television or the source component you will have to exit and re-enter About my Sonos System to refresh the Audio-In status.

I recommend going through the following suggestions:

• Please make sure the audio output format is one that the home theater product can read (see our support article).
  • To verify, the sources used are streaming or cable when the issue happens.
  • Can we try to wire the player directly to a source bypassing the TV to see if the issue will occur?

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd be glad to review your system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we are always here to help.

Annazel,

Thank you, I’ve been playing around with various settings on the TV.  Since steaming audio was fine, I figured the issue had to be the TV signal for some reason.  After a lot of trial and error I might have figured it out.  I changed the CEC setting on the TV from “All” to “ARC Only”, thinking another port may have been interfering.  This seems to have solved the problem, as the audio has not cut out for a couple of days now.

-Peter

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @pkenny2385.

Thanks for your immediate response and update.

I’m so glad to hear that the issue seems to be resolved now, I appreciate you letting us know the steps you have tried to fix it.

This can definitely help those community members that might encounter the same concern.

I’m looking forward to the continuous smooth sailing of your system.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know, we’d be glad to help.

Cheers!