Answered

Beam switches off when internet goes?

• 2 August 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi, the Beam completely disconnected from the TV when my internet dropped out! Did not expect that as its connected to the TV with hdmi(arc), is this normal??
icon

Best answer by Edward R 10 August 2018, 14:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, cordyk. Welcome to the community. It sounds like your router is failing; if the internet goes and your WiFi devices also conk out at the same time, it's unlikely the incoming connection but the router itself. How is the Beam connected? Wirelessly or via a cable? Have you managed to set it back up? If not, you will need to temporarily connect it with an Ethernet cable. Then go to Settings, Advanced Settings, and follow the wireless setup. Let me know if this does not work out for you.
Hi Edward, thanks for the reply! It has always been connected via Ethernet, i was just surprised the Beam would not work when the internet went down!?. As it's connected to the TV with an HDMI and has its own power source why would the network be needed for anything other than wifi,alexa etc when just watching TV?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yes I see your logic that the beam could keep playing the HDMI signal no matter what.
I guess sonos would see this as a rare case and seeing as the beam is not sold as a plain stand alone HDMI fed soundbar, but part of the sonos ecosystem which demands wifi connection (not using sonosnet), they may ignore this use case......
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Errr, that's my fault, I must have misread your post! It was just after I got back from my Summer holiday so clearly I was experiencing some brain fog. I'm sorry, you're right - I think it must just be an odd coincidence. The WiFi going down should not have had an effect. Though I wonder, perhaps the power went out and it caused the WiFi to go down at the same time? Perhaps the TV settings got reset during the powercut? Is this now resolved, or is the issue ongoing?
Thanks guys for responding so swiftly:D
I checked the settings last night and noticed that the connection settings were set on 'WiFi' and not 'Ethernet', i just presumed an Ethernet connection would override a WiFi one automatically! I have changed it over and Spotify and airplay all function properly so tonight i will try switching off the router while just watching TV to see what happens. Hopefully that has sorted it and it was just me being a doofuss:P