Beam receiving Stereo, not 5.1

• 11 September 2018
  • 10 replies

Apologies if this has been covered before, I just can't seem to find a solution to my issue.

I've got a Chromecast plugged into an HDMI splitter (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220662069393), with the video out going into a projector, and the audio out going to a 10m toslink cable, then into the HDMI convertor that came with the beam, and finally into the beam. In the app, it shows that my beam is receiving stereo and not 5.1.

I'm streaming netflix, but don't seem to have any movies that have a 5.1 option (only stereo). The funny thing is, testing some movies on netflix, it actually sounds like it could be 5.1 (dialog coming out of the beam center channel only, with other isolated noise coming out of my two rear play1's) I've also tried some 5.1 videos on youtube and some downloaded content that I know to be 5.1 - but this sounds to be stereo, and reads as stereo in the app.

If anyone has any tips I would be super appreciative. Going a bit nuts trying to figure this out! Thankyou

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Might the Chromecast be the issue? Are you sure it supports DD5.1? Do you have the means to bypass it experimentally, by taking a cabled HDMI connection to the extractor?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
You don't say which TV you have, but I'll take a guess its a Samsung. You need an EDID faker by the looks of it, so that the TV emits 5.1 for its HDMI source (the Chromecast).
Userlevel 7
What brand and model of projector are you using?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I had a similar problem with my Roku. I am not sure what audio format the Chromecast outputs for Netflix - if it's Dolby Digital+, your splitter will likely default to stereo because DD+ is not supposed to be passed over optical. I had to buy an older Roku Ultra (with an optical port) which decodes Dolby Digital+ to Dolby Digital for optical output.

You could try an HDMI splitter that supports ARC.
Thanks everyone - I'm looking into this product: https://www.auselectronicsdirect.com.au/hdmi-audio-splitter-extractor-with-arc
I've emailed the shop to see if they also believe it's a suitable purchase.

My Projector is an Epson EB S110 (a very cheap projector, but it does the job). The projector model shouldn't matter though I don't think, since I'm using a splitter that only ends up putting the vision through it (which comes through, and works fine).

I'll let you all know how I go so this can be used for other people in the future who may have the same issue.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I do not think that product will work for you. It supports ARC in that any audio coming from the TV can be passed back through the optical output. Unless your projector can convert DD+ to DD and pass that back via ARC, you'll still be in the same position. I was thinking along the lines of a 1 in, 2 out HDMI switch. Plug the Chromecast into the in. One of the outs goes to the Epson, and the other to the Beam. However, I don't own a Beam and I do not know if a direct HDMI connection can be used by the Beam. You could try this by plugging the Chromecast directly into the Beam and seeing if audio plays. Otherwise, what you really want is an HDMI splitter that outputs audio via HDMI ARC, rather than optical or coaxial.
Userlevel 7
Hi travtrav

If you are looking at the product in your link thinking it will work as an HDMI ARC connection between two connected devices then please understand this:

HDMI ARC only works if both devices have the technology natively. If one does (Beam) and the other doesn't (TV or Projector) then you might as well save your money. There is no "alchemy" that can make a non-HDMI ARC device communicate with a HDMI ARC capable device and reap the benefits of the technology.

Here's some light reading on what HDMI ARC/eARC provide to the end user by way of convenience and other enhancements: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/

Cheers!
So while I'm waiting on the new hardware to arrive to test, I can 100% confirm that my speakers are pumping out 5.1, although it does not say audio in is 5.1.

I know this, because my system 'bugged out' for a moment, and only the rear speakers were on. It was clear as day (while watching Game of Thrones) that yes, the sound was definitely the rear L+R, and not simply L+R surround. Interestingly, the sonos was saying there was no audio going into the Beam during this! I re-grouped my speakers and they all came on, and again said it was stereo -- but I full well knew it was 5.1.

Might have to pass this on to a Sonos engineer, see if it's a bug. But hey, I have full surround? That's the result I wanted I guess.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
You could try running a 5.1 test on youtube to be certain the audio is 5.1. The Beam will try to simulate 5.1 even if it's receiving a stereo signal.
Hi, I've got a similar problem with my Panasonic TV not passing through dolby 5.1 through the optical output, it does not have Arc. I have a chromecast, firestick and ps3 connected via hdmi. I can set the firestick to output in dolby, but have no control over chromecast, which is dolby plus I believe. I tried and EDID faker between the chromecast/firestick and the tv, but that didn't seem to work, always stereo. I tried an hdmi switch with audio extractor, but that didn't work either (I'm not sure if the box was faulty as I has a weird colour cast to the TV picture.). I've tried both through another smaller TV with arc, and they both gave out dolby 5.1 (amazon and Netflix through firestick and Netflix through chromecast), but the TV might be doing the down mixing (?) from dolby plus? Any ideas how I can get it to work with my older Panasonic?