Answered

Beam or Playbar as center channel between two Play:5 Gen 2's as (L+R)?

• 15 February 2019
  • 7 replies

I'm looking to build a 5.1 channel surround system around my two Play:5 Gen 2's. I want to keep the Play:5's as L+R, add two One's for rear (L+R), a subwoofer, and a center channel (beam or playbar).
My question is, does SONOS provide functionality to use sound bars as a center channel between two speakers for L+R?
icon

Best answer by Chris 15 February 2019, 23:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No you can't use Play:5s as L+R. For surround your only option is Playbar,Playbase,Beam as your L/C/R all in one. Or Amp to be your L/R/simulated C.

Those are only options.
I have managed to get my Beam as center speaker and 2 Play1 as L+R. The trick is to separate Beam and 2 Play1 as separate rooms. You can then group them back together and even manage the volumes separately. TV, music, all works with this grouped.

There might be some delay with the 2x Play1 because of network. What I did was adjust the Beam delay to match the Play1 and everything sounds great.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
The beam is already a 3.0 speaker. It is not possible to have it be a centre speaker. You are merely grouping it with an extra stereo pair. If one wants better separation then it's best to use an amp, which can be paired with a L + R speaker and gives a phantom centre channel.
Agreed, what you have is a L+L+C+R+R setup. And I suspect a significant delay with the video on the screen.
Badge +7
Attempted what Pigman claimed and there was significant separation, so my results were very different (even after adjusting delay).
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
If you mean that there was significant delay then that is to be expected as it is not meant to be in that configuration. There may be more stereo separation, but it won't turn the beam into a centre speaker and it won't be an overall great experience. As above, an amp would be better suited for one that wants that type of setup.
Badge +7
Agreed. Yes, that's what I meant. Was just testing because it's the first I'd heard of anyone receiving favorable results.