Question

Beam, One + Move - How to mute all when watching tv?

• 21 July 2020
  • 6 replies

OK. I have my new Sonos system almost working right. It’s not “surround” but working the way I want and can group as needed depending where I am in the apartment. 

Beam - working w/ Samsung TV connected to TiVO & ATV. Beam successful paired w/ TiVO remote & ATV remote to control Beam volume. Couldn’t get the Samsung One remote to work following the official instructions, which is ok because the TiVO is the main remote. 

One - placed to the right of the couch

Move - charger base placed left of the couch

Again, I know I can’t do surround, which is fine because I like being able to take the Move to various parts of the apartment and and group/ungroup as needed. Basically, my apartment is long so I want to be able to hear the TV while I’m cooking/at the dining table, etc and the Move provides flexibility + can take to bedroom, bathroom, terrace so I opted for this setup. 

What I can’t do is, when I’m watching TV and I want to mute sound, the remotes only mute the Beam. The One and Move still playing the TV sound. 

TL;DR Is there a way to fix this so that when watching TV, Mute actually mutes all speakers that are grouped? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No, you will need your Phone or a voice command for this.

I have this same problem and find the phone app to control volume an unacceptable workaround. It is not practical to expect everyone in the family (or guests) to install and use the app. Nor is it convenient even when you have the app to quickly mute the TV. I’ve seen lots of people requesting this, so I would like to know when Sonos will add this basic / expected feature, or why it is not possible.

To clarify my setup and expectation, I have a Roku TV with a Sonos Beam connected on one end of a long living room (which includes a kitchen behind it). I have two Sonos Play:1 speakers positioned throughout this room (one at back of living room, one in the kitchen).  Note that this setup has speakers roughly front-to-back to fill the room with sound, not left-right to get stereo, so a surround sound setup is not the answer.  I have the 3 speakers grouped.  What I expect when I press mute or adjust the volume on the TV remote is for all 3 speakers to respond together as a group, but instead only the Beam volume responds.

I think my setup and expectation are quite common, and the current behavior is frustrating and unsatisfactory.  Even if there are some situations where someone wouldn’t want this behavior, it should be trivial to add a settings option so people can opt-in/out of it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Adding options also adds complexity. Many people loose sight of the app even now, so Sonos may not grand your wish.

Adding options also adds complexity. Many people loose sight of the app even now, so Sonos may not grand your wish.

While not inaccurate, I think this loses sight of the user experience.  They can leave it off by default if they want - no harm, no foul. I would rather have a setting buried somewhere that I have to google an answer for than to have no solution at all.  And I don’t think this is any more complex than the current Beam options to add a sub woofer or surround sound.

Just to add evidence for the demand, people are writing kludgy workarounds to sync Sonos group volumes without having to rely on the app. These examples are specific to Samsung Smartthings, but I’m sure there are others.  https://community.webcore.co/t/sonos-speakers-auto-volume-adjustment/5919 https://community.webcore.co/t/sonos-group-volume-control/14341 https://community.webcore.co/t/sonos-want-to-control-volume-on-individual-speakers-in-a-group/11027

For anyone that has a Samsung Smartthings hub with Webcore installed, I wrote the following piston script to allow your TV remote control to mute and control the volume of the entire group.  For everyone else, you’ll need to keep pestering Sonos to make this a native setting option.

https://community.webcore.co/t/control-sonos-group-volume-w-tv-remote/18262