Beam impressions from Sonos Berlin store

• 18 June 2018
  • 4 replies

I got to spend about 15 minutes playing around with a Beam today in the Sonos Berlin store and overall I was a bit underwhelmed. I listened to the Beam inside an enclosed demo room within the store. The following are my rambling thoughts on the Beam:

-As assumed, the playbase and playbar outperform it in bass and sound stage and are overall just better. I was hoping that the Beam would be closer to their performance but based on its size (it's pretty small) and fewer speakers/drivers this was wishful thinking.

-The Beam by itself seems like it would be a good bedroom soundbar but it might not be that great for a main entertainment setup.

-I would say a pair of One's or a single Play 5 sound better (a lot better?) than the Beam by itself for music.

-When demoing the Beam with the sub and surrounds the performance of the overall system was much more impressive so it might make sense to use a Beam in a 5.1 setup rather than a base or bar, and the quality might be similar with the added smart benefits of the Beam (and $ benefits). Once I heard the sub it was really hard to go back to just the Beam by itself!

-In the Sonos world of pricing the Beam seems to be appropriately priced. Does that mean its a good value? Not sure.

-Looks wise, lets just say it looks about $300+ cheaper than the playbase.

-I asked the guy working at the store why they didn't resolve the DTS issue and he responded that he was not sure why they didn't and that he is asked this question all the time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I also see the Beam as being suitable for a bedroom, or a small dining room. I plan to add a Beam to two existing Play:1’s and use it as a 5.0 setup in the bedroom. I think controlling some aspects of the TV in a bedroom, whilst lying in bed will be good, rather than using the remote, including setting a sleep timer etc.

I currently have an echo Dot in the bedroom and I will just put that elsewhere.

I don’t think for one minute Sonos intended the Beam to challenge its PlayBar or PlayBase. I think it’s a smaller option for the smaller room that has a second TV in it and will apply to the majority of people for that purpose.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Thanks for the review. It help me cross of the beam as an option.
I’d be really interested in hearing people opinions on the bean vs Playbar when in concert with the sub and rears (Play 1s).

I have this setup in the living room but quite like the idea of a smaller speaker at the centre, especially as my playbar essentially sits up on my TV stand).

If the sub and rears take much of the heavy lifting And there is no great detriment to the sound then I’d consider swapping these two out.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I’d be really interested in hearing people opinions on the bean vs Playbar when in concert with the sub and rears (Play 1s).

I have this setup in the living room but quite like the idea of a smaller speaker at the centre, especially as my playbar essentially sits up on my TV stand).

If the sub and rears take much of the heavy lifting And there is no great detriment to the sound then I’d consider swapping these two out.

Yea I am considering the same, I feel like with the sub helping and surrounds for movies that you probably wouldn't miss all that much unless your room is gigantic possibly?