Answered

Beam goes silent when Sky Q changes from DD2.0 to DD5.1

Hi, 

When my I change the channel on my Sky Q box from one broadcasting in DD2.0 to one broadcasting in DD5.1, the Beam goes completely silent. The only way to bring the audio back is the turn the Sky Q box off and on, or to reset the input of the Beam to TV. I’d hope that this could be fixed as its really annoying.

The beam is attached via ARC to my LG 43 UM7500PLA with hdmi-arc set to pass through, I’ve also got 2 ikea simfonisks connected as surrounds. This same “bug” occurs when connected via optical, leading me to think the issue is with the beam rather than with my tv or Sky Q box. I’m willing and open to being corrected.

Once I’ve power cycled my Sky Q box or reconfirmed the TV input to the beam, when going back to a DD2.0 broadcast the beam from the DD5.1 broadcast the beam behaves just fine. 

Diagnostics number 1069721209

Any help would be great, thanks very much.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 5 May 2021, 17:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Hi, 

When my I change the channel on my Sky Q box from one broadcasting in DD2.0 to one broadcasting in DD5.1, the Beam goes completely silent. The only way to bring the audio back is the turn the Sky Q box off and on, or to reset the input of the Beam to TV. I’d hope that this could be fixed as its really annoying.

The beam is attached via ARC to my LG 43 UM7500PLA with hdmi-arc set to pass through, I’ve also got 2 ikea simfonisks connected as surrounds. This same “bug” occurs when connected via optical, leading me to think the issue is with the beam rather than with my tv or Sky Q box. I’m willing and open to being corrected.

Once I’ve power cycled my Sky Q box or reconfirmed the TV input to the beam, when going back to a DD2.0 broadcast the beam from the DD5.1 broadcast the beam behaves just fine. 

Diagnostics number 1069721209

Any help would be great, thanks very much.

Odd that the issue happens both on Optical and an Arc connection. Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Between the Sky Q and the Tv? I’ll give it a go

Between the Sky Q and the Tv? I’ll give it a go

And/or the TV and Beam too. It has to be worth eliminating the cable(s) as being the cause of the issue at this early stage.

The cable from the Sky Q to the TV has recently been renewed, the cable from the tv to the beam is the original cable supplied, it’s less than 2 months old.

The cable from the Sky Q to the TV has recently been renewed, the cable from the tv to the beam is the original cable supplied, it’s less than 2 months old.

Appreciate that, but it’s not unheard of that a cable can be faulty.

Hmm I’m a little sceptical on the cable/cables being at fault. It’s not at if I’m not getting DD5.1, but that when my system changes from DD2.0 to DD5.1 it goes quiet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Could it be the Sky box trying to send DD+ to the TV or (when using optical) to the Beam (some TV’s send silence because they cannot change DD+ to DD - the box should not try to send DD+ over optical)? What are the sound settings on the box?

I’m currently connected via hdmi arc and the tv is set to pass through. The Sky Q box is set to output Dolby digital (not plus) through hdmi. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Shyloc 

Are you still having this problem?

If so, I recommend unplugging your TV from power for at least 30 seconds.

If this doesn’t help, connect the Beam to the Sky box’s optical output with the supplied adaptor - if you don’t experience the same issue with this setup, that indicates that the TV was causing the issue (which, to be honest, is the most likely scenario).

I hope this helps.

I’ll give that a go