Answered

Beam Gen 2 : Switch back to TV speakers

• 6 October 2021
  • 14 replies

So just set up new Beam Gen 2. Connected to Panasonic TV via ARC HDMI. Please tell me there's a way to switch back to TV speakers ! I don't need to use the Beam all the time as the TV speakers are very good. Can't find a way on the app, or with the hardware. Super frustrating. Am hoping I'm just being an idiot.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 6 October 2021, 19:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Turn off TV Autoplay in the Beam’s settings. 

You’ll then need to start TV play on the Beam manually using the Sonos controller app when you do want it. 

Userlevel 7

Look for a VIERA Link app on your TV and it should allow you to switch the Speaker Selection from TV to Home Cinema.

Tried a few things :

1.Turned off Autoplay in the Beam settings but doesn't change anything.

2.Went into TV speaker settings and changed from Home Cinema to TV, but it just clicks back to Home Cinema.

3.Turned off the Panasonic Viera link, and it works ! 

I'm not sure why it works though 🤦. It does seem like a slightly odd work around.

Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers !

​​​​​

​​​​

Userlevel 7

VIERA Link is Panasonic’s version of CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) which has to be turned on when connecting a soundbar through the HDMI ARC port. CEC allows you to control the soundbar’s volume with your TV remote. Switching CEC off disables the “Home Cinema” audio feature and reverts the sound back to using the TV speakers.

Thanks. Bit disappointed that the option in the Sonos app doesn't work, but a work around is better than nothing ! Cheers.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi , as this VIERA setting is turned off , does it just stop the use of adjusting the volume with the TV remote ? 

Hi , as this VIERA setting is turned off , does it just stop the use of adjusting the volume with the TV remote ? 

Not for the TV Speakers, but if CEC (Viera) is switched ‘off’, then control over HDMI is switched off, so the only way to then control the Beam’s volume using a TV remote, is by using infrared - to setup an infrared remote, you can goto the Beams room settings in ‘Settings/System/[Beam Room Name]’ and select the ‘Remote Control Setup’ option. Note, it only works with infrared remotes, there is no support for a Bluetooth connected remote.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Not for the TV Speakers, but if CEC (Viera) is switched ‘off’, then control over HDMI is switched off, so the only way to then control the Beam’s volume using a TV remote, is by using infrared - to setup an infrared remote, you can goto the Beams room settings in ‘Settings/System/[Beam Room Name]’ and select the ‘Remote Control Setup’ option. Note, it only works with infrared remotes, there is no support for a Bluetooth connected remote.

Would it work with a universal infrared remote ? 

Would it work with a universal infrared remote ? 

Yes, usually any infrared TV remote can be setup to control the volume of the Beam… I currently use my cable box TV remote.

Badge

Same problem with Sony TV Bravia KD-49XE8005.

Seems this problem exited 3y ago but topic closed and no solution provided on the forum

Plugged on ARC HDMI, tried all the above, upgraded TV with latest software and various combination on Sony menu / Sound Output menu, but can’t sort it after 2s always turn-on Beam 2 and sound get out there !!!

Which doesn’t make the deal with  a TV rotating 90 on wall mount when not looking at films from sofa, TV speakers are still needed.

… for now using a remote control plug to turn off Beam 2 … frustrating, may be more a Sony problem than Sonos but would love to hear from someone clever how to make it work.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Same problem with Sony TV Bravia KD-49XE8005.

Seems this problem exited 3y ago but topic closed and no solution provided on the forum

Plugged on ARC HDMI, tried all the above, upgraded TV with latest software and various combination on Sony menu / Sound Output menu, but can’t sort it after 2s always turn-on Beam 2 and sound get out there !!!

Which doesn’t make the deal with  a TV rotating 90 on wall mount when not looking at films from sofa, TV speakers are still needed.

… for now using a remote control plug to turn off Beam 2 … frustrating, may be more a Sony problem than Sonos but would love to hear from someone clever how to make it work.

I just go in settings on my TV and turn off CEC , turns off the sound from the bar and then I can use TV speakers 

I just go in settings on my TV and turn off CEC , turns off the sound from the bar and then I can use TV speakers 

Yes, exactly the same for me too. I think switching off HDMI-CEC on every TV Brand/Model is the only way to play the audio on the internal built-in TV speakers. I have different brands of TV that I use with Sonos HT products and as soon as I switch off CEC the TV auto-switches to the TV speakers.

Badge

Thanks both. Any tip on Sony Bravia how have the option Bravia Sync On/Off not “gray” (not accessible) once a ARC device is connected ? I only have access to it when I physically turn off Beam (unplug power or sure HDMI !)

Thanks both. Any tip on Sony Bravia how have the option Bravia Sync On/Off not “gray” (not accessible) once a ARC device is connected ? I only have access to it when I physically turn off Beam (unplug power or sure HDMI !)

Perhaps see if this works…

Press the HOME button, then select [Settings] → [External Inputs] → [BRAVIA Sync Settings] → [Auto Devices Off] → [Off].