Answered

Beam center channel sound

• 8 May 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge
When watching movies using my sonos surround system (Beam + 2 Play 1s) the music coming from the 2 surrounds over powers the center channel, the Beam. Is there a way to make the beam (center channel) louder than the surrounds.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 8 May 2019, 04:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I think the first thing you should do is check to ensure that your Beam is receiving a Dolby Digital signal. While watching something on your TV, open up the controller app, and go to ...More and then Settings. Click on "About My Sonos System" and look underneath the section talking about your Beam for the line that says "Audio In:" and let us know what you see there.

You can adjust the emphasis of the voice by turning on speech enhancement, and you can also reduce the volume of the surrounds by going into the room settings for the Beam, clicking on Advanced Audio, then Surround Settings, and using the volume slider.
Badge
Bruce,

I checked the audio in and it says "Stereo". Should it say Dolby digital?

Just so you know, i am connected via the HDMI Arc cable.

Thank you much
Randall
Indeed, it should say Dolby Digital. That's probably why you don't feel like you're getting a good sound on the "voice" or "center" channel, you're not actually getting one.

Thanks for the info on the HDMI-ARC, it's semi-important, inasmuch as what the Beam does is tell the TV what kind of signal it can accept. But you need to make sure that the TV is set up to both send that appropriate signal, by looking at the settings in the audio setup area on the TV, as well as any device that you have connected o your TV, such as cable boxes, DVD players, etc. They all have to have their audio settings changed to send a Dolby Digital signal to your TV, so the TV can pass it through to the Beam.

The other thing to be aware of is that all content isn't in Dolby Digital, so you must be watching a Dolby Digital signal when looking at all these audio settings. For instance, many talking heads programs, news programs, etc, aren't broadcast in Dolby Digital. I often recommend that when you look at these settings, you turn on a movie channel that's showing a movie made in the last 5 years or so. Many TVs actually won't let you select Dolby Digital in their settings if the signal currently being watched doesn't have it.

Take a look at the settings on your TV, and the devices that feed it. Let us know if you're having trouble, and give us make and model numbers for those you're having trouble with, so we can look up online manuals and give you guidance.
Badge
Bruce,

Thank you so much for the advice, it makes sense. While watching a TV program (not a Movie) I went into my Smart TV settings for the audio and found only two options available. PCM and Bitstream. I changed it to bitstream, which I have never heard of, and didn't really notice a difference. but then again I wasn't a movie nor did I have a lot of time.

So from what your saying is that my TV could potentially not even give me a Dolby option unless it is getting a Dolby signal? I am not sure how I can change the audio out on my Comcast DVR cable box but I will have a look soon and get back with you. Thank you spending the time to help me, you're awesome.

Randall
Bitstream would be the setting for Dolby Digital. PCM is stereo. You would also want to change the output on the cable box, so that the whole signal path is set to Bitstream/Dolby Digital.
Badge
JGatie,

Thank you so much, I will see what i can find on the cable box

Randall
Badge
Hey guys,

Turns out it was the cable box. Once I looked up the setting for Audio output on the Cable box I was able to find that the HDMI output was set to stereo. Changing it to Dolby digital immediately made a huge difference on just a plain TV channel. Now sound is coming out of the BEAM so much better.

Looks like I will have to re-watch all of the movies i watched since having the Beam in-place, its that big of a difference.

Thanks again to the both of you
Randall
Badge
FYI, all of the movies I watch are through the on demand feature via the cable box hence the frustration with the quality of sound it produced.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
If only in Italy there was a Dolby streaming service... (apart from Netflix)