Answered

BEAM - Audio Delay for Video

• 9 August 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi,
I have been experiencing substantial delays in the audio emitted from the BEAM when playing video, sometimes several seconds. I have an Apple Mac Mini for streaming content which is connected to the speaker through the wifi network. My display is a projector connected directly to the computer at the back of the room so running a cable from the speaker is not really an option.
Are there any tips for reducing this lag? It is pretty frustrating as is. Thank you.
-A
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 10 August 2018, 11:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,
I have been experiencing substantial delays in the audio emitted from the BEAM when playing video, sometimes several seconds. I have an Apple Mac Mini for streaming content which is connected to the speaker through the wifi network. My display is a projector connected directly to the computer at the back of the room so running a cable from the speaker is not really an option.
Are there any tips for reducing this lag? It is pretty frustrating as is. Thank you.
-A

By connecting via wi-fi your Sonos system is buffering the audio output to allow multi room content syncing and this is the cause of your lip sync issues. To avoid this the only option is to connect the source of the AV to the Beam via HDMI or Optical cable
UKMedia - Thanks for the help. That is disappointing, I don't know that even a 30ft optical cable will reach both components, maybe 40ft. How much of a lag would a cable that long create? Might be a dumb question, but here is another one.

Would the Sonos Boost aid in the current setup at all? It seems like it could help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

As an optical cable signal is travelling at the speed of light, the delay shouldn't be noticeable and there is some lip sync adjustment for this level under Room Settings within the Sonos App. The Sonos Boost will improve connectivity between components but to ensure correct syncing of music across multiple Sonos players music output is buffered and so there is always a slight delay to ensure that multi room music is 100% aligned. In your case, the Boost won't make any difference.
As an update I used a mini Toslink adapter to connect a long optical cable to the Mac Mini, then had to use Toslink female-female adapter to attach the other end to the optical-HDMI cable that came with the Beam. No sound! Not sure what I am doing wrong here. I looked at the optical cable when it is unplugged from the Beam and HDMI adapter, the cable end is emitting a red light. Just not sure that signal is being converted by the optical cable-HDMI correctly.
Can you check to see what kind of signal the Mac Mini is putting out? The red light means there's something there, but if it isn't either Dolby Digital or Stereo(PCM), than the Sonos won't be able to interpret it.