Answered

Beam as a computer speaker

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Thanks, I know that, what I want it's to be able to play say YouTube audio or other non music services from pc to beam, but also have a connection to the TV. So I can listen to stuff on pc without having the TV on. 

Badge
Just thought i would share what the Beam looks like as part of a Computer 5.1 setup

Looks sweet! Can i ask, is the beam playing all audio from your PC?

If so, how did you set this up?

I have a similar setup but cant get it working. The PC playback device is set to "Digital Audio (S/PDIF)" Is that the same as yours?

Just thought i would share what the Beam looks like as part of a Computer 5.1 setup

I have a similar setup but cant get it working. The PC playback device is set to "Digital Audio (S/PDIF)" Is that the same as yours?

Well i'm not PaulRBoon (obviously), but i also have the dgx soundcard with the sonos beam, so it shouldn't matter. I'll post a screenshot of my setting in the Audio Center below (It's in german, but shouldn't matter because the menus actually should be the same). Porbably you already checked that, but don't forget to change the setting on your 'sound settings' (if you are using windows). Because my graphic card for example has an adio exit too, so I had to manually change it to the soundcard exit.

Hopefully this will help you

Badge

Well i'm not PaulRBoon (obviously), but i also have the dgx soundcard with the sonos beam, so it shouldn't matter. I'll post a screenshot of my setting in the Audio Center below (It's in german, but shouldn't matter because the menus actually should be the same). Porbably you already checked that, but don't forget to change the setting on your 'sound settings' (if you are using windows). Because my graphic card for example has an adio exit too, so I had to manually change it to the soundcard exit.

Hopefully this will help you

Thanks for the help.
I dont have a sound card, I am hoping to use the motherboard optical out.
Its a MSI z170a M7
- Realtek® ALC1150 Codec
- 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio
- Supports S/PDIF output

Does it have to be dolby for the Beam to recognise the signal?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So if my motherboard has a optical audio out and I use the included adapter, I will be able to connect the Sonos Beam to my pc without issues?

Yes, as long as it is sending DD 2.0 or DD 5.1.

Ah okay, sorry i misunderstood. If i'm correct the signal has to be in dolby 2.0, 5.1 or PCM stereo. But i think that should not be the problem in your case. I only know that SONOS defentely can't decode DTS (but it still seems to detect DTS signals). Maybe try to modify the sound settings a bit. But i think i'm too much of an amateur to give you any deep knowledge advise, sorry. I remember I had to update the drivers on my soundcard, maybe that helps with your motherboard as well. I'm sorry that i can't really help you with that. Good luck.

So, if you run your PC to the TV, it would work, if you’re sending a Dolby Digital signal. No, a splitter would not work, the PC is not generating an ARC signal. 

Could the pc be wired through optical to spliter and hdmi arc from TV to spliter and the spliter into the beam? Don't want the TV to have to be on when on pc 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Could the pc be wired through optical to spliter and hdmi arc from TV to spliter and the spliter into the beam? Don't want the TV to have to be on when on pc 

No. The TV generates the HDMI-ARC signal, the PC does not and no splitter does (right now).