Answered

BEAM and Sharp LE832 ARC

• 5 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello SONOS community,

I have a BEAM Gen2 w/ S2 app, Sub Gen3, Apple TV 4K (first generation), and a Sharp LE832 42” TV.

I have tried connecting the BEAM to the TV’s ARC and messed around with the TV’s audio settings.  At best, I can get Stereo PCM when connected in this way.  If I ‘force’ the ATV to use Dolby Digital 5.1 output, this configuration does not produce any sound.

I have invested in an HDMI splitter and connection via digital optical out DOES give me Dolby Digital 5.1 (again, when forced from ATV).  For sure, a first world problem, but I would like to take advantage of ARC but I am beginning to think I am resigned to accept that my TV’s ARC does not carry a compatible Dolby signal.  I realize a simple solution would be to buy a new TV, but I am hoping to hold out a bit longer.

I appreciate any observations/suggestions.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 5 October 2021, 03:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

I believe your TV was first sold in 2011. More than likely, your TV cannot pass through any audio other than stereo PCM from external devices. I had the same issue with my Panasonic Plasma from 2013. The only way I could get 5.1 audio playing out of my Sonos Arc was from the TV’s internal VUDU app or from a 5.1 video file from a USB flash drive inserted into the TV. All external media devices played in stereo PCM.

Rather than purchasing a new TV, I purchased the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter. It allows external devices to bypass your TV’s limitations and send audio directly to the Beam (Gen 2). The Arcana works great. I can get Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos, and multichannel PCM from my Apple TV 4K playing out of the Sonos Arc with the Arcana.

Read more here: 

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Badge

Hi GuitarSuperstar,

Thank you for the response.  I have read up on the Arcana and my hangup is spending >$200 for another device.  I haven’t got a lot of play from Sharp customer support which is a bummer but I appreciate the TV is passed its product support.  Honestly, I was surprised to see an ARC port on this TV, hence I was hoping to maximize/optimize life of the TV.  Internal apps support for NFLX was already dropped so that is a no-go unfortunately.  I may be resigned to buying a new tube (which wouldn’t be so bad with Black Friday coming up :) )

Thank you