Answered

Beam and dolby digital 2.0

• 27 February 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a 5.0 setup using a beam and 2 play 1s.  Everything seems to be working fine however when the audio is being recognised as 2.0 I appear to be getting sound out of the rear speakers.  I was assuming that nothing would come out of the rears unless I was playing content that contained a 5.1 audio track.

Am I miss understanding this?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 27 February 2020, 22:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No, and yes.  ;)

I think what Sonos is doing so something like Dolby Pro logic used to do, which is create a false representation of what it thinks should be in the surround channel, and sending that. it does the same kind of thing when the surrounds are set up as ambient when playing music, some sort of software best guess. One of the reasons I use full, rather than ambient. Love those software engineers, but prefer the original intent ;)

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm also set to full but was under the impression this only effects music. Is there any way to stop the artificial surround implementation? 

It’s probably due to the backward compatibility of the Dolby codecs that you are listening to a Dolby Pro Logic signal with a technique called ‘matrixing'… see this link as a brief explanation:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/difference-between-stereo-and-dolby-surround-2-0.45530/

To stop the issue, perhaps switch the audio source/TV to 'PCM stereo' and see if that resolves things so that the audio plays through the front two channels only.

Yea, I agree with Ken, I think it isn’t something you can adjust externally without changing the input. And yes, the Full setting only impacts the music, and not the TV input.