Beam and Amplifier surround sound

• 27 January 2021
  • 10 replies

Does the Beam require an ethernet connection so that it can connect to a Sonos Amplifier for surround sound?  I am attempting to connect the 2 and it is telling me that the Beam needs an ethernet connect.  I had a guy from Geek Squad here and they told me it was not required.  

Thanks,   

Pete 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

The Beam shouldn’t have to be wired with an ethernet cable to pair with the Amp. Is the Amp far away from your Beam? Are you using the Amp to power two surround speakers to pair with the Beam?

It is about 30 feet between the Bean and Amp.  Yes the AMp is powering 2 speakers. 

Have you chosen to  ‘disable WiFi’ in the Beam settings?  If so, enable it.

The WiFi is enabled on the Beam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Peter Lupinacci 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Are you still having this problem? It should be pointed out that for a Sonos Connect:Amp to operate as surround speakers, there needs to be an ethernet connection on the Home Theatre device (your Beam) and a second ethernet cable is needed on another device, ideally the Connect:Amp. Our Set up Connect:Amp as surround speakers page describes this in more detail. 

As the Sonos Amp has a 5GHz radio, none of these requirements apply to it. If you can’t get a Sonos Amp bonded to your Beam, please reboot your router by switching it off for 30 seconds, make sure Sonos, the Sonos app, and the device it’s running on is up to date, and try another controller (device running the Sonos app). Try adding the Amp after each step.

Finally, please get in touch with our technical support team who will be able to interrogate the devices and find out what’s going wrong in your specific situation. 

Does this connection with ethernet cable work with both Gen1 and Gen2 of Connect:Amp?

Badge +17

Does this connection with ethernet cable work with both Gen1 and Gen2 of Connect:Amp?

Yes, it does.

Thanks James,

One more question regarding Connect:Amp Gen1 and Gen2 as surround amplification.

Can I even use Connect:Amp Gen1 in an S2 environment for surround using ethernet?

Userlevel 7

Thanks James,

One more question regarding Connect:Amp Gen1 and Gen2 as surround amplification.

Can I even use Connect:Amp Gen1 in an S2 environment for surround using ethernet?

Probably not since the Connect:Amp (Gen 1) is not compatible with the S2 app.

Definitely not.