Answered

Beam + Amp with third party speakers and sub in a surround sound setup.

• 8 March 2020
  • 3 replies

I currently own a Denon amp with a Center speaker and 2 left and right and speakers plus a sub.

I am thinking of switching to sonos, so will this cofigiration work as a settup.

A Sonos Beam (or Playbar) which my Tv is connected to via HDMI ARC.
A Sonos Amp with the third party speakers and sub.

Will this work together were the Beam works as a center speaker and the amp as left and right, and will the sub also work in this settup ?
Will i get a simialer surround sound feeling as i do now ?​​​​​​

icon

Best answer by John B 8 March 2020, 17:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I'm afraid there are a couple of ways in which that won't work wxactly as you want, but there are still good options.

You cannot use a Beam as a centre speaker. The Beam does front L, R and C. Or you can use an Amp with L and R speakers and a 'phantom' centre.

If you use the Amp and speakers for the surrounds then you cannot use a third party sub. You could use a Sonos Sub.

If you use the Amp for front L and R you can use your sub. Then use a pair of Sonos powered speakers for the surrounds. Or a second Amp and speakers.

The Playbar has no HDMI connection,  only optical  

Thank you for the answer,
Then I think the best option would be using the AMP as L and R and then using a Phantom center.
Do you have any idea of the quality in this setup, will the amp phantom center be as good or close to a real allocated center speaker?
Again thank you for the very detailed answer.

Hi. I don't have any personal experience of the Amp so i shall have to defer to others.  But I understand it's accomplished by splitting the centre channel to L and R, which I would have expected to work well.