Answered

Beam 2 with Amp and Sonance In-Ceiling

• 9 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Does anyone know if I can setup a Beam 2 and configure in-ceiling speakers for the down firing Atmos elements (instead of relying on the Beam 2 virtual up-firing ) ?

(i’m awaiting installation so apologies if this question has an obvious answer, and i’m using completely incorrect terminology)

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 10 December 2021, 01:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

You can’t configure any speakers as down firing Atmos elements in the Sonos software. The Arc is the only speaker that has dedicated drivers for that part of the Atmos signal, and it bounces the signal off the ceiling. The Beam does not have dedicated drivers for that signal. 

Any additional speakers, such as your in-ceiling speakers, if they’re driven by a Sonos Amp, can be set up as surround speakers, but not “Atmos” speakers.

Reports in this forum are that you can indeed hear a better quality out of the Beam when using an Atmos signal, but there’s not extra speakers involved, to my knowledge, and certainly no way in the software to define “Atmos downward firing” speakers. 

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and expert advice