Question

Beam 2 + Apple TV 4K + projector - how to use it ?

• 1 February 2022
  • 0 replies

Badge

Hi,

I am interested in jumping into the Sonos eco-system with the purchase of a Beam 2 to enhance my home theater experience. For now, I only plan to get the Beam 2 for financial reasons, I hope it will be great already (without subwoofer or surround speakers).

Here is my projected setup:

• Epson projector ceiling mounted (HDMI connexion through ceiling/wall ntegrated plug/wires)
  • Apple TV 4K (not the 2021 gen.)
  • Beam 2

Since the Apple TV 4K has no sounds output and the projector is far away from the sound bar, I will not have the option to use the HDMI eARC input of the Beam, which is the way the beam is designed for.

I understood the will be 2 turnaround options:

1. Using Airplay 2
  2. Using a HDMI extractor with eArc output

For the first option (Airplay 2), here are my questions:

• Is it actually possible to connect the Beam to the Apple TV 4K using Airplay 2 and then have a wireless connexion ?
  • Is that still true that it will require to switch to the Beam each time the Apple TV is switch on ?
  • Is there any kind of audio quality limitation with Airplay 2 (stereo only or 5.1 or even Atmos available) ?

For the second option (HDMI extractor), here are my questions:

• Is there such a device on the market ? Are they reliable ?
  • Will it offer the best audio quality (5.1, Atmos ?)

I hope you will help me on this because it’s a tricky problem to figure out.

Thanks !

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.