Answered

Audio lagging behind video

• 2 July 2020
  • 3 replies

I just set up my 77”  LG C9 TV with the Sonos playbar and not able to get the sound to sync perfectly with the video.  Attempted  all the sync adjustments through the Sonos App.  The sound still slightly lags behind video.  I read some of the previous community messages and it appears this has been a problem for a few years.  Is there a fix from either Sonos or LG?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 July 2020, 01:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The fix would need to come from LG, in the form of a firmware update. Sonos can only play the audio as quickly as it is given the data, and it appears that there are some issues with the HDMI inputs on LG TVs. If you were to attempt a ‘smart’ app, it would likely be in sync, since the signal isn’t coming in via the HDMI. 

If you look through the Home Theater section of the forum, you’ll see lots of folks who have ended up pulling the audio off of the HDMI stream before it enters the TV, by using an HDMI switch with an optical output. That appears to resolve the audio issue. 

This does currently present a challenge with eARC use, but if you search for HDFury, you’ll see that there’s a device in preproduction that should work for this issue, as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Switch to optical to avoid the lag.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Switch to optical to avoid the lag.

Unfortunately.. with these LG TVs, the lip sync is with Dolby Atmos. Optical does not pass through Dolby Atmos, so kind of defeats the purpose.  So, as an LG B8 owner, I have to have trade-offs.  I can do Dolby Atmos movies through the TV app (as Bruce mentioned) and not have a lip sync issue, but I do lose some picture quality.  Or have better pic quality with Netflix via the ATV4K, but have a lip sync issue.