Answered

Audio format input on Beam

• 30 December 2020
  • 14 replies

Hi,

Is there a possibility to know what is the audio format received in hdmi input on a Beam?

(To be sure that a 5.1 audio signal is received and not a stereo one)

Thanks

Guillaume

icon

Best answer by jgatie 30 December 2020, 20:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Yes. 

Settings, System, About my System and look at the source info for your Beam in Audio In. 

Go to Settings->System->About My System, the entry for the Beam will show the format.

Go to Settings->System->About My System, the entry for the Beam will show the format.

The information is well hidden!

Thank you!

There have been several threads requesting that data being moved to the ‘now playing’ screen, since the Arc does show there when Atmos is playing, but none of the other codecs show up. 

Yes. 

Settings, System, About my System and look at the source info for your Beam in Audio In. 

Thanks!

Thank you again, for the “best answer” selection, I’ve made a click by error on my answer.

The answer of @nik9669a was also very good but I saw it after (even if it seems that he answered first)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks 😉

Are you getting 5.1?

Thanks 😉

Are you getting 5.1?

Yes with my Philips Android TV :

• Netflix : Ok
  • Amazon Prime Video : Ok
  • Internal video player : Ok
  • VLC : only 2.0 (even with passthrough option)
  • MrMC (after looking for an alternative to VLC) : Ok

Next step : buy rear speakers (or get for present 😉) to have more surround effect. But the Beam alone is already very good

Thanks 😉

Are you getting 5.1?

Hey Nik, quick question... I've got a Sony TV (KDL-46HX823) it says on the Sony website it has dolby digital but can't seem to get 5.1 - I'm stuck on Stereo PCM 2.0 when I plug it into my beam via HDMI ARC 

is this something you've come across before? 

Thanks in advance!

Thanks 😉

Are you getting 5.1?

Hey Nik, quick question... I've got a Sony TV (KDL-46HX823) it says on the Sony website it has dolby digital but can't seem to get 5.1 - I'm stuck on Stereo PCM 2.0 when I plug it into my beam via HDMI ARC 

Thanks in advance!

On my Philips TV I have an output sound option:

- multichannel = Dolby digital plus (no sound on Beam)

- Multichannel = Dolby digital (ok with Beam)

- Stereo

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks 😉

Are you getting 5.1?

Thanks in advance!

Not all tv programs are transmitted in DD, so you do need to be sure you’re watching an appropriate source. What options do you have for the audio settings in the Sony menu?

Thanks 😉

Are you getting 5.1?

Thanks in advance!

Not all tv programs are transmitted in DD, so you do need to be sure you’re watching an appropriate source. What options do you have for the audio settings in the Sony menu?

I've tried it with Netflix and and Amazon video (both of which I believe support DD?). Under sound in settings I'm able to see an option for "digital audio out" but it only has 2 settings: auto and PCM. its on auto and the output is still PCM stereo 

is it possible that its because I'm connecting my beam via HDMI ARC opposed to optical maybe? 

Thanks 😉

Are you getting 5.1?

Thanks in advance!

I've tried it with Netflix and and Amazon video (both of which I believe support DD?). Under sound in settings I'm able to see an option for "digital audio out" but it only has 2 settings: auto and PCM. its on auto and the output is still PCM stereo 

is it possible that its because I'm connecting my beam via HDMI ARC opposed to optical maybe? 

My Beam is connected by HDMI ARC and it works in 5.1

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Try toggling the setting, to be sure. But also check the program listing to be sure it’s a DD program - try Jack Ryan, which I think is a DD program. As I said, not all programs are sent in DD; some are only broadcast/streamed in stereo.