Answered

audio format

• 28 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi all , just got a new TV and I have a beam gen 2 and 2 One SL surround speakers with sky+ hd , my TV has an eArc setting in the sound menu , if I select this everything is fine but Sonos app shows different formats that it's playing , shown in the pics , which format is better to use Dolby digital plus or Dolby multi channel pcm 2.0 was itv 5.1 sky movies ? Many thanks 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 28 February 2022, 16:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Make sure in your TV sound menu that the “pass-through” option is selected. Whatever sound codec the source is sending will be passed through to your Beam2 as long as your TV allows it. Some TV’s no longer pass through DTS. FYI, Sonos does not dictate nor change what audio is sent by the source. Dolby Digital Multi-Channel 5.1 will sound better than any 2.0 audio source with your current setup. You are only lacking a Sonos sub which is the .1 in 5.1.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Make sure in your TV sound menu that the “pass-through” option is selected. Whatever sound codec the source is sending will be passed through to your Beam2 as long as your TV allows it. Some TV’s no longer pass through DTS. FYI, Sonos does not dictate nor change what audio is sent by the source. Dolby Digital Multi-Channel 5.1 will sound better than any 2.0 audio source with your current setup. You are only lacking a Sonos sub which is the .1 in 5.1.

Thanks , yes my new TV has passthrough , sky+ hd box is set to Dolby if that's helps 

Userlevel 7

@Edgie70 Dolby Digital Plus is usually preferred over Dolby Multichannel PCM, but choose whichever sounds best to your ears.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Thanks , I have just selected passthrough in the settings on the TV , does this look correct??? , I've selected eArc because it says if the device supports eArc switch it on