Answered

Arc vs Beam - Placement

• 10 May 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I bought the Beam last year for primarily to get good sound from our main TV a Samsung Q80 75”.  Loved it so far.  I didn’t want to buy the Playbar since it didn’t have the embedded Alexa which I use to play Amazon Music.  I also liked the size because it was only 26”.  I would like to consider replacing the Beam with the Arc. (I will move the Beam to another room).  

The problem I am facing is size.  The Arc is 45” length.  You will see from the pics that the Beam fits nicely given the cabinet top and the angle of the TV.  The TV needs to point at an angle to be able to see correctly from the sofa.  (No, can’t move sofa).  I specifically bought this Sanus mount, because the extension arm allowed to get beyond the framing of the cabinet.

I am unable to deal with the mounting/unmounting of the TV myself.  I had to hire a couple of guys to do this.  I would prefer not to have to remove it, by hiring people, just to attach a soundbar mount to the TV mount.  I am attaching some pics to show my situation.  Any advise is welcome.  Thank you.

P.S. You may notice a couple of round stands under the beam.  These are shipping tape rolls covered with black construction paper.  This were placed under the Beam to lift it slightly, because from the sofa the IR receiver from Beam was unable to detect the remote from the sofa without lifting the remote high each time.  This solved the problem.

P.S.S.  The TV is not resting on the Beam, although the pics make it look like it could be.  There’s about an 1/8” of clearance.

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 10 May 2020, 21:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @MSterling 

My, my, my you’ve been quite busy in the community. Keep it coming :relaxed:

To your question...at this juncture I’d wait to see if a 3rd party will develop a TV mount that will allow attachment of the Arc and allow it to hang below the screen. Thus moving the Arc with it during angling.

If long enough you could rest the Arc on the marble top. However, the right-end of the Arc would be behind the the TV when angled. Whether or not that would matter is a guess at this time.

BTW...neat trick with the black construction paper :thumbsup:

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

+AjTrek  Thanks for the feedback.    I read a lot but not a big responder.   Yes, I’m going to see what’s out there.  I try to provide honest feedback when I know what I’m talking about.

Rather than simply describe my current placement, I thought the pictures would be more helpful.

This TV mount is Sanus LF228 mount.  So I know it can handle the weight of the Arc which is indicated about 15lbs and most likely a mount that is around 2lbs.  I see that Sanus has some universal mounts for a soundbar but most require them to be attached Before the TV mount.  But maybe theirs some flexibility on that.  I Iooked at the Sanus SA405.  I’ll need to know what kind of mounting screw holes are on the Arc first.  The customer service at Sanus is pretty good, so they should know within a month.  They were very helpful when I bought their stands for the One’s.

I considered the idea of placing the soundbar where the Beam is now without a mount.  Because of the nature of the upward and right speakers, I wouldn’t want it flush with the cabinet under the TV.  But I have thought about how much might be ‘hanging’ over the right side when angled the same as the TV and Beam are now.  I have about 3 inches to the left of the Beam that I could still slide it over. The Arc is 45”, and I know the Beam is 26”, so given that only 16” of the be over hanging.  If the weight of the Arc is almost evenly distributed, then 2/3 of the weight would be resting on the granite.  Since no one walks there, because it’s up against the wall, it might be okay.  I would probably put some high strength velcro on the bottom of the Arc on the part that rests upon the granite.

Does this analysis, seem reasonable?  Of course my biggest thought is whether I’ll splurge on the Arc before a Sub  :).