Question

Arc vs. Beam in terms of output power/volume

• 11 June 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Just would like to ask those who has upgraded from Beam to Arc or those who own both items, if playing the same track from the same source, how they compare in terms of loudness? For example if I play a track on the Beam from Spotify and set the volume as 50%, then at about what percentage for the Arc to give the same loudness?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I'd like to read people's replies to this as well. TTT

Don’t try to correlate 50% Volume between units of any brand. Each unit has its own characteristics and this setting has no relevance with respect to the overall quality of a unit.

In my opinion Arc can play louder than BEAM, but Arc might not seem as loud because it is cleaner sounding than BEAM. Humans are conditioned to equate ‘loud’ with ‘distortion’. In my (pre SONOS) college apartment I could run levels that would make verbal communication very difficult, yet I would still receive (hoarse, yelled) requests to “turn it up” because the system was clean sounding. The same audience of listeners in another venue using cheap, struggling equipment, the system was officially ‘loud’, conversation was easy, and there were no requests to “turn it up”.