Question

Arc volume

• 15 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hello,

Got my Arc last week. It’s connected to LG C9 with eARC. On the TV there is a setting for volume normalization and it was never an issue. Now after connecting to Arc I’ve noticed that there is very noticeable problem with one app. Checked the audio and it’s DD2.0. Same as HBO GO which has no issues so it’s not dependent on source type.

So, what can I do now? Apart from always remembering to lower my volume by half?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Complain to LG? They’re the ones with the volume normalization. Sonos just plays what they’re handed. Essentially, the Arc knows it’s connected to a TV set. It doesn’t know what app/source is sending the signal, only that it is coming from the TV set. 

Badge

Since it’s pass-through, it’s no longer normalizing, right? So I can hear. Is Sonos normalizing the inputs?

No, I don’t think it’s pass through, I think LG still has some control over the signal. But as I said, Sonos knows only that it is connected to a HDMI ARC or eARC device, and not what is generating the signal inside that device. And no, Sonos does no volume normalization that I’m aware of. It’s been an oft requested feature. But that would be from stream to stream. I’m not sure how they would be able to recognize different sources inside the TV. 

Badge

Yes, it is pass through. That’s the setting on the TV. TVs can do normalization inside a stream since that’s how loud commercials are put back on volume, right? So normalization works not only from channel to channel but also during receiving a stream. Anyway, lack of normalization is an issue for Sonos Arc since it’s main source of signal is messy TV broadcast. Thanks.

Thanks for posting @LukaGra.

Does this “volume normalization” remain when using the optical adapter?

Badge

No. It's only possible with built-in speakers

http://kr.eguide.lgappstv.com/manual/w19_mr/dvb/Contents/settings/sound/volumemode_e_c_a_t/eng/w45__settings__sound__volumemode_e_c_a_t__eng.html