Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

750 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Apparently I am now running Sonos 12.2 build 6112310. And Samsung TV updating to 1403 as I am typing this. So we’ll see if problems are solved . . . 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Actually now Samsung 1403.1.

Badge

Same issue here, Samsung QE75Q90 latest 1372 software and arc software 12.2. Only happens when switching tv back on. had this same setup for a few weeks without issue, only days ago started to  happen. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sonos bumped to 12.2, but Frame still showing 1402 with no update available.  Still has the problem, every day restarts before viewing to get through a movie.  Keeping watch for 1403 to hit. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So far, so good. No loss of sound. Maybe it’s fixed . . . 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

As well as drop outs, does anyone get that “zip” type sound, notice occasionally on my CX/ARC combo via apple tv 4k when watching atmos content.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Nope, no zip sounds.

I do still have sound cutting on 12.2 with the Sony A9G. Excited to watch the Mandalorian on Kodi but …. no sound, switching off eArc, enable/disable pass through, switch to/away PCM. Nothing worked. In TV mode the sound was available.

As a last resort I fully rebooted the TV and then it worked again. Forgot to send a diagnostics report though, as I was already super agitated as the moment of excitement was gone and apparently had to deep dive into various settings and options again.

What probably puts me away the most is what I perceive as a total lack of transparency, communication, timelines or a high level plan moving forward from Sonos. I understand new hardware and software can introduce issues … it's not ok but I can understand. But please, at least provide some plan moving forward.

The only response I see here is “please send in your diagnostics report”. Well by now you should have received thousands of them right?

So with all the information collected so far, initiate sessions with Sony, LG, Samsung and Sonos technical representatives. Put the brains together in a room, get a whiteboard, some markers, discuss the challenges, come up with an action plan to iteratively work your way forward to a concrete solution and keep the community informed on the progress of this ‘task force’ by a bi-weekly or monthly basis. It's not that hard you know.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

As well as drop outs, does anyone get that “zip” type sound, notice occasionally on my CX/ARC combo via apple tv 4k when watching atmos content.

Maybe. I heard a weird sound yesterday but its not something i have been experiencing before. But im experiencing the other issues you have with the audio dropping completly when switching source. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Maybe. I heard a weird sound yesterday but its not something i have been experiencing before. But im experiencing the other issues you have with the audio dropping completly when switching source. 

Yeah the audio dropping completely between sources is annoying, hopefully Sonos can put all efforts into the audio dropping issues, now that the LPCM update is out which was great, we don’t need more features added at this time, more so reliability please Sonos.

Userlevel 2
Badge

For those who are saying this is now fixed with the updates.  Is it because it was skipping and now after the update it stops skipping?  I would just be careful because we had reports of that earlier only for the issue to come back.

I have same issue every now and again, turn on and the soundbar sound cuts in and out. Unplugging soundbar does fix it but i don't want to have to do this regularly - is there a permanent fix for this? Can Sonos address this?

I have the Arc and Samsung QE55Q85R, connected via HDMI Arc via the Samsung's One Connect box. 

Same here. Same setup, same issues

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I just bought a new hdmi cable (my fourth) hoping that would solve my problem. But after my audio dropped completly 2 times within 30 min i have lost all hope.

It seems as if its a problem with switching audio formats. I just lost audio switching between 2 movies in my Disney+ app and going from 5.1 to 2.0. Its the same as when i switch source going from ATV 4k and usually 5.1 to tv tuner and usually 2.0.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So after about 24 hours, all seems good. Thought I was going to have a problem once but after a short delay sound resumed on its own. System is Sonos running 12.2 build 6112310 plugged into 2020 Samsung Q80 running 1403.1. So maybe job done for Samsung. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I just bought a new hdmi cable (my fourth) hoping that would solve my problem. But after my audio dropped completly 2 times within 30 min i have lost all hope.

It seems as if its a problem with switching audio formats. I just lost audio switching between 2 movies in my Disney+ app and going from 5.1 to 2.0. Its the same as when i switch source going from ATV 4k and usually 5.1 to tv tuner and usually 2.0.

Could be, but then I had audio drop the other night while watching some shows on my apple tv 4k on LG CX.

Watched 2 episodes in atmos fine went to play the third episode and no sound. But I think you on to something, there is some issue switching between sources/ sound formats that cause’s the sonos to crap out.

Userlevel 3
Badge

It ‘appears’ so far more stable with these settings. Initially I had “output compressed audio without changes” and now set it to “output only compressed audio for multi-channel content without changes”. 

See photos of the rest of my settings. Just eArc, no PCM, no pass through.

(and yes the cables need some work… and the wall needs a new layer of paint, I know … )

I am having the sound off and on problem repeatedly with my Samsung Q80. Is this an issue with all Sonos sound bars or just the Arc? If so, I would like to exchange the Arc for a soundbar that I don’t have to disconnect twice a month.

Same problem here with Samsung Q80T, Sonos Arc and Gen 3 sub which I started using only yesterday. Source is an xbox one x, set to bitstream out dolby atmos along with 4k/60 over hdmi. Arc is connected via the eARC port using the supplied hdmi cable and tv is set to pass through with atmos enabled. Works beautifully until it doesn't. It will either cut out completely after a random amount of time, or drop out and back again for a second.

Going to sound settings and changing output to tv speakers and then back to receiver eARC fixes the total drop out, I just don't want to have to do this with such an expensive bit of kit.  Immersion killer, so will return it for another brand in a couple of days.

Diagnostics 1474635237 which I submitted while a cut off as above had happened. Sonos devices, xbox and TV all up to date.

Any further guidance would be helpful. Thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

OK. I take it back. Just changed channels on YoutubeTV (between the Giants/Eagles and the Masters) and sound dropped out. So not quite there yet . . .

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

OK. I take it back. Just changed channels on YoutubeTV (between the Giants/Eagles and the Masters) and sound dropped out. So not quite there yet . . .

Complete dropout?

Said it before that I get the same on my LG CX, certainly a trend of complete dropouts when switching between content/sources. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yes. Complete dropout. Fixed it by cycling through audio sources on the tv. Works, but annoying nonetheless. Of note maybe is that this was not due to switching between apps, or switching from ATMOS to non-ATMOS content. Just a channel change. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Yes. Complete dropout. Fixed it by cycling through audio sources on the tv. Works, but annoying nonetheless. Of note maybe is that this was not due to switching between apps, or switching from ATMOS to non-ATMOS content. Just a channel change. 

No idea seems random from my findings.

So is to my original question, is there a solution or should I just give up and return the Sonos Arc?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

My Samsung Frame updated to 1403, and Sonos Arc at 12.2.  Still getting dropouts and have to power cycle my Arc EVERY TIME I wake the TV up to fix it for that session.  This is getting VERY VERY OLD, Sonos!!  When will it be fixed?!?!?!?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

So is to my original question, is there a solution or should I just give up and return the Sonos Arc?

No solution yet.  If you have other options, I would suggest returning it.  I’ve got too much invested on Sonos all around my house to return mine or I would have.  Am FRUSTRATINGLY holding out for fix...

Ditto. This is frustrating..