Answered

Arc+Sub combination: Using out-of-the-box without network, internet, and S2 app (pure hardware mode)

• 1 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am wondering if there is a possibility to use Arc+Sub combination as a home theatre unit out-of-the-box (or call it sonos pure hardware mode) without connecting to a network, going through the setup process, and without the S2 app? Such an option will be very useful when you are setting it up in a location where you don’t have a phone, don’t have a local network (wired or otherwise), and of course thus – don’t have internet.

I tried this with Arc alone and works pretty well. Just unbox it, power it on, connect to the TV with eArc and it’s good to go. TV will control the volume via eArc. However, there is no way to make Arc and Sub communicate with each other. If Sonos can come up with an option where you just tether both devices via the ethernet port and they establish communication automatically.

I understand such a setup will not benefit from streaming, EQ setting, or any other control for that matter. But it will be great to have such an option where you can simply unbox the system, power it on, connect with the eArc-enabled TV and your home theatre is up and running! Good old school way. Makes it simple and easy to use for someone who hates networking, the internet, and phones in general! (or for someone who lives in a place where phones/internet/networks are not allowed. Army bases for example)

icon

Best answer by ratty 1 October 2022, 19:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

No is the answer to your hypothetical question.

Anyone who buys an Arc and Sub without having a phone/tablet or network available is rather foolish.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Anyone who buys an Arc and Sub without having a phone/tablet or network available is rather foolish.

There are plenty of country side vacation homes where network signals are always a challenge.

Userlevel 7

There are plenty of country side vacation homes where network signals are always a challenge.

Then a networked audio system wouldn’t be a good choice for them and they should consider other options.

@Mr. T Despite having a network, the OP has a bizarre obsession with doing without one to connect Arc and Sub. 

This is becoming something of a waste of time.

At risk of sounding “rather foolish,” I have a variation of this question:

My dad lives in a rural area and isn’t super tech savvy, but wants a wireless surround sound system for watching tv and movies. He wants a wireless setup largely for ease of install (which will likely fall to me). His only internet access is via hotspot and it’s too unreliable to stream music, worry with Alexa, or use any other internet-based capability. The hotspot speed also gets dialed way back after crossing certain data usage thresholds so he really does not want anything with continuous internet connectivity/usage.

That said, can I use an Arc, connected to a TV via HDMI, to then establish a Sonosnet connection to two One SLs and/or a Sub Gen 3 to create a surround sound system--despite not having an wifi network that the Arc would remain connected to?  

Basically, can I:

(1) setup the Arc and SonosNet via iPhone/hotspot and otherwise avoid leaving the Arc connected to the hotspot? or

(2) purchase a separate router to establish a local WiFi network, use the hotspot and new network for initial Arc/surround sound system setup, and then disconnect the new router from the hotspot yet leave the surround sound system still functioning thereafter?

...or am I just totally out of luck?

Thanks for any help offered!

Basically, can I:

(1) setup the Arc and SonosNet via iPhone/hotspot and otherwise avoid leaving the Arc connected to the hotspot? or

Yes, but the phone you’re using as a hotspot can’t be the same one you’re using the Sonos app on.  That would not be sonosnet though.  If all you’re going to do with the Arc is use it for TV audio, you would not need to keep the Arc connected to a hotspot, or router.  The Arc will connect to the sub + surrounds without it.  You would just control volume via TV remote.

(2) purchase a separate router to establish a local WiFi network, use the hotspot and new network for initial Arc/surround sound system setup, and then disconnect the new router from the hotspot yet leave the surround sound system still functioning thereafter?

This wouldn’t really gain you much over the first option. You would still need a phone for hotspot and 2nd phone for Sonos app.  The router would only help you if you had a 2nd Sonos room that you wanted to be able to play in sync wit your first room.

...or am I just totally out of luck?

Thanks for any help offered!

Thanks so much Danny! I ordered the Arc and am looking forward to setting it up for him at Christmas!