Arc sound dropouts with TrueHD/Atmos encoding

• 22 June 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Is anyone experiencing sound dropouts on their Arc when playing media via Plex on Nvidia Shield with TrueHD/Atmos?

I have an Arc with sub and surrounds connected to a 2020 LG OLED77GX6LA with eARC. I am playing media via Plex app on a 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro. The LG is doing HDMI passthrough and everything is hardwired ethernet except for the sub and rears.

I am getting short audio dropouts durring what seems to more energetic audio scenes possibly durring higher bit rates. There was a known issue with the Shield and TrueHD MAT 2.0 but that was fixed a while back and I read that some still have the issue with sound bars due to the high bit rates needed.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi

I don’t use Nvidia shield or xbox.

however I have noticed that I get the occasional sudden sound drop out and it can be from any of my sources, Virgin V6, OPPO203, TV Netflix etc. I was wondering if it is some kind of WiFi interference ?

Bc

I am seeing the same thing, except it’s not limited to TrueHD/Atmos (where I have also seen it). Saw it while watching Netflix and HBO Max today (both 5.1 shows) so I don’t think it’s related to the content streaming at all. Audio cuts out for a brief moment, it almost sounds like a CD skipping once. I have an Nvidia Shield Pro w/ an LG C8, arc, sub and 2 rears.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I managed to fix the issue I had in my original post by ensuring that everything was set to pass-through in the LG settings. There was one option that I had missed in the advanced settings. If need be I can post my settings here. The only downside now is that any DTS content via Plex plays in 2.0 channels. I hope the multichannel LPCM planned support will help get round that. for now I have to switch between the LG built in Plex app when playing DTS content and the Nvidia when playing TrueHD/Atmos. I never had an issue with the LG built in apps dropping sound.

Is anyone experiencing sound dropouts on their Arc when playing media via Plex on Nvidia Shield with TrueHD/Atmos?

I have an Arc with sub and surrounds connected to a 2020 LG OLED77GX6LA with eARC. I am playing media via Plex app on a 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro. The LG is doing HDMI passthrough and everything is hardwired ethernet except for the sub and rears.

I am getting short audio dropouts durring what seems to more energetic audio scenes possibly durring higher bit rates. There was a known issue with the Shield and TrueHD MAT 2.0 but that was fixed a while back and I read that some still have the issue with sound bars due to the high bit rates needed.

Thanks

I have det same is issue with plex + Infuse with Apple TV4K and LG C9 :( 

Can you post your settings here?

I am seeing the same thing, except it’s not limited to TrueHD/Atmos (where I have also seen it). Saw it while watching Netflix and HBO Max today (both 5.1 shows) so I don’t think it’s related to the content streaming at all. Audio cuts out for a brief moment, it almost sounds like a CD skipping once. I have an Nvidia Shield Pro w/ an LG C8, arc, sub and 2 rears.

I have a similar setup - Shield 2019 (not pro) with LG C8 and Arc/Sub/One SL combination. Audio skips when playing from the Shield from both Netflix and Plex. When use the TV’s native Netflix and Plex apps, I have no audio skipping issues. I’ve tried various permutations of audio settings on both the Shield and TV, but nothing seems to fix the issue. I’ve tried different HDMI inputs on the TV and different HDMI cables as well.