Question

Arc (should have been named Bar) vs. Beam real life comparison

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I know nobody’s rooms are the same.  I am hoping that someone with a Beam who is going to take delivery on an Arc can perform a same audio test and post their opinions - or even post on YouTube.  I plan on using ours mostly on TV programming..  I realize that the YouTube post will only be as good as the captured sound.  I have a Beam and two One’s for surround, no Sub - yet.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

It will be several weeks before these are shipped to us mere mortals, you may find a quicker comparison in the ‘press’, who may get access earlier than the rest of us. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I’m a patient guy.  Going to wait for the mortals.  I’m not sure if I will replace my Beam.  I’m faced with location issue.  The Beam fits perfect.  The Arc is 19” longer.   I’ll submit a pic on this thread soon.

Userlevel 7

IMO opinion as a mere mortal I don’t think there is a comparison between the Arc and Beam for sound reproductions'.  Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital plus aside; if one were to play material at just DD5.1 the Arc will blow the Beam away.

The Beam even with it’s advanced technology struggled against the Playbar (and I own both) in terms of sheer cinematic sound reproduction.  I don’t believe Sonos would introduce the Arc with lessor performance than the Playbar which IMO trumped the Beam overall as a listening experience (expressed in the simplest terms). 

Do you have to drive a race car to know that your stock Mustang GT would most likely fall short in a head-to-head straight line race. I use the term straight line because race cars are setup for left turns and would most likely struggle against a stock Mustang GT in a race with right turns. Although in the end the race car would most likely prevail.

However, if space is an issue then sound be dammed...stick with the Beam.  JMTC :wink: on the subject.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I have the Beam and plan on purchasing the Arc and can post my findings and opinions between the two but I agree with @AjTrek1, it's pretty obvious without 3ven testing that the Arc will easily beat the Beam.

I have purchased several 4K blue rays to test out the beam set up vs the arc. I feel that the arc will blow it away.