Skip to main content

I have an Arc, subwoofer and two 300’s all setup in theatre mode. They are all wireless, none are connected by ethernet. In the app I set Sonnet to run on channel 6 even though I don’t use it.

I recently ran a wifi scan on my home to see what channels are in use and I was surprised to see that my Arc is randomly turning on and off its own wifi signal. It's not Sonosnet, as I said that is on channel 6. The Arc is creating this signal on the same channel my router is running on.  If I change the channel in my router, the Arc broadcasts a signal on that same channel also.  Its brief, comes and goes.

I know it's the Arc because the signal is identified with the mac address of my Arc. Another odd twist is I dont even see Sonosnet on channel 6, but if I dig into the Sonos diagnostics it confirms the Arc is set to channel 6.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Hi @TNPAPA 

Welcome back to the Sonos Community! And, apologies for the delay.

That is nothing to worry about, and expected (desired) behaviour - if the Arc did not broadcast a WiFi signal, neither your Sub nor Surround Sound speakers would work reliably, as communicating via the router is too slow. A direct, low-latency  connection is needed.

Your main clue there is HT Channel is 5660 - HT is short for Home Theatre. And, HT AP mode: on indicates that the Home Theatre primary (Arc)  is in AP (Access Point) mode.

I hope this helps.

It's not the channel 132 (5660) channel I am asking about.  I am specifically wondering why despite me setting Sonosnet to Channel 6 (2437) I am also seeing the Arc create yet another signal on Channel 1 (2412) This is in affect making the Arc use 2/3 of the available wifi channels in the 2.4ghz band. I cant get away from what the Arc is doing because no matter what wifi channel I select on my router, the Arc is following and creating its own wifi on that same channel.

Look at the scan, my router is on channel 1, the Arc is now also on Channel 1. But Sonosnet is set to channel 6. None of this makes sense.