Answered

Arc inputs required on tv

• 16 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Hey,

Just want to confirm something:

To get the full Dolby Atmos experience from the Arc, I need to have an e-arc input on my tv? I don’t- I only have an arc input. If that’s the case, I’m not going to upgrade from my Soundbar to an Arc nor upgrade my tv…yet.

icon

Best answer by jgatie 16 December 2021, 23:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Full bitrate Atmos requires eARC.  DD+ Atmos, which is used by almost every streaming site, only requires ARC.

Userlevel 7

@OkanaganFreedom55 Not necessarily. Some TVs with just HDMI ARC can pass through Dolby Atmos audio. You can also get an HDFury Arcana eARC adapter that will allow any external media device to bypass your TVs limitations and send audio directly to the Arc. The Arcana would allow you to continue to use your current TV but still get Dolby Atmos audio from external media devices.

What sources (streaming apps, media devices) do you want to get Dolby Atmos audio from? What specific model TV do you own?

I have an Apple TV media player, I only stream via Netflix but I use the Plex Media server app to watch my downloaded content.

TV is a a Samsung UN60HU8550

Userlevel 7

I have an Apple TV media player, I only stream via Netflix but I use the Plex Media server app to watch my downloaded content.

TV is a a Samsung UN60HU8550

Unfortunately, even with HDMI ARC, your TV is too old to pass through any form of Dolby Atmos audio. And if you have an Apple TV 4K, it requires a TV with eARC to play Dolby Atmos audio because it uses a Dolby MAT encoder. You can either get the Arcana device that I mentioned above or get a new TV with eARC.

Thanks so much for the info. I’ll look into the Arcana device but I’m in Canada and it looks like it may be hard to find. At lease I now know what is/is not possible.