Answered

Arc has only 5 audio channels according to Sonos?

• 23 June 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
  • Prominent Collaborator I
  • 79 replies

In the webpage https://www.sonos.com/support/en-us/sonos-user-guide/index.html#t=sonos-user-guide%2Farc%2Farc.htm , it states that:

• Arc’s advanced processing creates five phased-array channels that deliver sound to your ears from all directions.

What are those five channels? Where do the height channels fit in there?

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 23 June 2020, 02:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

They would fit in at 5.1. 2

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

They would fit in at 5.1. 2

Arc itself is 5.0.2, then there should be 7 channels, shouldn’t it? 

But in the user guide, it states “Arc’s advanced processing creates five phased-array channels”. That is what I am wondering about.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi @ekwok, I remember seeing this in another thread too.  Those five channels are the front right, front left, center, rear right, and rear left. Those are the phased-array channels designed to bounce sound around the room. The height channels aren’t listed on that bullet point because they’re not phased in the same manner. The Arc on its own is considered to simulate 5.0.2 audio, when you add a Sub, it hits 5.1.2. And if you add surround speakers, it’s still considered 5.1.2. The side firing speakers that were being used for the rear simulation, will adjust to help out the rest of the audio instead, not add additional channels.

I see how it can be unclear, and will mention it to the team. If you’re wondering “how many channels of audio does the Arc produce” than the answer is “7”.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Ryan S,

Great!! That is the answer I was looking for exactly!

You explained it very clear. There is a reviewer who insists that the up firing speakers simulate the Rear left and right channels.

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

If that Arc isn’t getting Atmos content, the up-firing speakers help a little with the surrounds, but I believe they mostly would be helping with the bass in that situation.