Question

Arc distance from the wall relative to the tv distance from the wall

• 7 August 2020
  • 4 replies

The distance from the wall to the front of my wall mounted tv is 6 inches. If I use the arc wall mount and mount it as recommended the proper distance below the tv will the up firing speakers of the arc be impeded by the tv?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I’ve had 3 contacts through support that were not able to answer this question but just read from scripts. The last person responded to an email I sent in reply to an inquiry as to whether my issue had been satisfactorily resolved. I explained my question again so he sent me the arc wall mount product manual link. Of course this issue is not covered in the manual so again a scripted response. I’m surprised that a premium product company such as Sonos doesn’t have someone that can understand and answer this question. My objective is simply to understand how I can install the arc via wall mount in the optimal position for performance.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Mickeyboy, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

As long the Sonos Arc’s Up firing speakers are not blocked by the TV; 2 inches in front of the TV should be fine. 

If it is being blocked, the recommended distance is 5.5 inches below the TV and all around; the community also suggested 4 inches as well.

Primarily, the up-firing speakers are for Dolby Atmos. So if your TV doesn’t support Dolby Atmos, I would recommend 2 inches below the TV since the Up-firing speakers will be on idle.

However, some music streaming services supports Dolby Atmos. So to play safe, 4-5.5 inches below the TV for a Wall-mount setup or 2 Inches in front of the TV for a tabletop setup is the best recommendation.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Thank You for the reply. My TV does support Dolby Atmos which is why I purchased the Arc product. My decision based on what I’ve been able to gleen from this inquiry and just using simple logic is to remount my TV using an ultra flat fixed mount then use the Arc mount with a spacer behind it to move the Arc in front of the TV so the up firing speakers are not impeded in any way. But that’s just me…...

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi. It is a tricky one for this, as you say, each tv mount pushes the set further out or closer to the wall, as such, when I installed mine, I set it 4” below, but the lip of the set was pretty much level with the front of the mounted arc so I still felt it was blocking them a bit. 

I looked at some arc pictures and felt the upfiring speakers were are at roughly 15 degrees so that helped with roughly visualising the angle the sound goes, I’ve also recently tilted my set down a bit to support the clearance and that helped.