Arc compatibility with Furion Aurora Outdoor TV

• 17 January 2021
  • 6 replies

I’m in the process of building an outdoor kitchen and have selected the Furrion Aurora - Full Shade Series 65-Inch Weatherproof 4K Ultra-High Definition LED Outdoor Television with Auto-Brightness Control for Outdoor Entertainment - FDUF65CBR.

I’m wanting to pair this up with the Arc.  I read through so much of the forum but really can’t see anything that helps me understand if they are compatible?

My second question(s)… once an Arc is connected to the TV… 

a) will what I play on the TV now be able to be broadcast throughout my Sonos system?

b) can I play music through the arc like any other speaker in my Sonos system if the TV is turned off? 

c) most of my equipment is only S1 compatible and I want to slowly upgrade.  Is it realistic to think I can start with all of my outdoor equipment on S2 and my indoor on S1 and not have control and conflicts with the apps and music services?

d) what else should I be concerned about?

Thanks for any insight!

jhawk635

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

Looking through the manual for this product, it only has an HDMI ARC connection and not an HDMI eARC port.  This means the Sonos Arc will connect but there is a possibility that your TV won’t pass through Dolby Atmos.  You can get around this by using the HD Fury Arcana (4K Arcana 18Gbps | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI).

a) will what I play on the TV now be able to be broadcast throughout my Sonos system?

Yes, if you want it too.  The default setting in Device Settings is to Ungroup when TV output is detected but you can then group however many Sonos players to the Arc and they will all receive the audio output - albeit with a slight delay.

b) can I play music through the arc like any other speaker in my Sonos system if the TV is turned off? 

Yes :)

c) most of my equipment is only S1 compatible and I want to slowly upgrade.  Is it realistic to think I can start with all of my outdoor equipment on S2 and my indoor on S1 and not have control and conflicts with the apps and music services?

Some people do just that but note that my answer to question a will only work on those devices on the S2 App. 

Edit: You will need to set-up both the S1 App and S2 App and run two systems, to clarify.

d) what else should I be concerned about?

The only thing that I can think of, is that the Arc is not designed for outdoor use!

Note, however, that there are two types of Atmos, one of which can be carried by ARC, using Dolby Digital Plus, another which requires eARC, using TruHD/MAT.  So it’s still possible that you could get Atmos, if the TV is capable of passing Dolby Digital Plus out its ARC port.

I share UKMedia’s concern about the Arc not being designed for outdoor use, and would expect doing so would void any warranty. 

Thanks for the great responses!  It sounds like all I would need to do is hook it up and if it works great, and if not, buy the HD Fury Arcana.

But the bigger issue is it not being outdoor rated.  I am in a totally covered environment, but it is subject to temperature and humidity.  Not sure what that means for options if this product is too high risk?  Any ideas?

Personally, I would go with a Sonos amp an good outdoor speakers over an Arc.   I don’t think you’re going to get a lot of benefit of atmos and surround sound outside like this, and the outdoor speakers  should give you good sound for TV and music. 

Most people have the amp placed indoors, with the HDMI-ARC connection going out to the TV, as well as the speaker wires.  This is how I have it setup.  You can also get outdoor enclosures for the Amp to protect it from the elements.

Personally, I would go with a Sonos amp an good outdoor speakers over an Arc.   I don’t think you’re going to get a lot of benefit of atmos and surround sound outside like this, and the outdoor speakers  should give you good sound for TV and music. 

Most people have the amp placed indoors, with the HDMI-ARC connection going out to the TV, as well as the speaker wires.  This is how I have it setup.  You can also get outdoor enclosures for the Amp to protect it from the elements.

This seems to make sense to me.  It looks like I can just hook up directly to my tv and even has a couple advantages over the Arc: Probably better sound and it’s S1 compatible so I don’t have to run a dual system.  Now the search for good outdoor speakers for this kind of application!

Ok, while pricey it looks like my best bet is to buy the Sonos Amp and two pair of Sonos outdoor speakers along with Russound SDB-2.1 2-pair speaker and source selector with volume control at Crutchfield so I can separate control which set is playing and/or volume to each.  Pretty pricey but will tie everything in nicely to the overall system.