Arc but no side walls... What are the options?

• 5 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I was planning on buying an Arc to listen to music in my living room and to watch TV (65”). In other rooms that communicate with the living I could place other sonos speakers to play the same music.

The only thing is that I realize I have no side walls in the living that the arc can use. On the left, the wall must be 8m away, on the other side 5m but the return path will be blocked. 

I suppose I would need front side speakers, but that is not supported  ifaik. Rear speakers will probably help a bit but not a lot I suppose.

I could opt for a standard home theatre setup from another brand with separate speakers and connect a port to listen to music. I am however afraid that this home theatre will cause latency due to processing when the same audio is played in the kitchen or office space. 

I could open the arc, disconnect the side speakers and connect separate ones…not sure if it has been done before and it is a bit scary...

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi. I had a similar kind of problem, but with vaulted ceilings. I auditioned the Arc and Beam 2 under similar suboptimal conditions and found the Beam sounded much better (this is not a ding on the Arc; I am sure if used in a “proper” room, it sounds amazing). The point it that the Beam is much more forgiving about the environment in which it is placed because it is synthesizing the sound field--and it does a great job. I added 2 Ones as rear channels, and the result is excellent. I hear sounds above and all around me and the system sounds wonderful.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Brian

Hi Brian, indeed that helps. Perhaps I should also consider the Beam, order both and experiment.

Should I also consider two front speakers that I configure as a stereo of another room put put them in front left/right? Would that distort the complete setup of would trueplay solve this?

Thanks

Should I also consider two front speakers that I configure as a stereo of another room put put them in front left/right? 

No. The grouped room would lag the Beam/Arc for TV sound, giving rise to a horrid echo. (It would be in sync for music sources.)

Consider an Amp plus passive speakers for a wider soundstage.

Consider an Amp plus passive speakers for a wider soundstage.

An amp can be added as part of a surround system (based on Arc or Beam)? Can you than select if it drives the front or back speakers?

Thanks a lot! 

An amp can be added as part of a surround system (based on Arc or Beam)? Can you than select if it drives the front or back speakers?

Thanks a lot! 

No, when used with an Arc/Beam, the Amp will power the surrounds.