Answered

Arc - Atmos or Not?

• 11 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi - I’ve just installed the Arc on HDMI3 (Arc) on my Sony KD77a1 

I’ve fired up a film on the AppleTV - The film is Coded with Dolby Atmos - and yet I’m not convinced I’m actually getting Dolby Atmos.

When I look into the system settings it says Stereo 2.0 on the Arc and nothing on the Surrounds (Play:3 and Sub) - and is expect that to say Dolby Atmos…

I’ve checked the HDMI settings on the Sony TV - all looks fine.

Would I expect to see Dolby Atmos on the Sonos System Info if all was working? 

I know this product is super new - but does anybody have any pointers as to what might be wrong? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 June 2020, 19:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Several things. First, what app are you using on the Apple TV? There would likely be differences between an Apple app, and a streaming company app. Second, is that Sony even capable of passing a Dolby Digital Plus signal? Check the manual, or look online. It it can’t, then it’s going to pass either a Dolby Digital or Stereo signal. 

Oh, the Apple TV has to be the Apple TV 4K version, any older version won’t work, apparently. 

Hi - thanks for this - that all looks as I’d expect it to be.

So I’m playing a movie on the appleTV - which has Dolby Atmos - so not using NetFlix or anything. 

The Sony does output Dolby Digital Plus - and it’s set to that (see Pic) 

...so it’s an odd one. 

The other TV in the household has also had an Arc added today - And that’s working fine - newer version of Android - and the settings are more explicit in that. Same move shows up at Dolby Atmos. 

So, I’d be looking either at the Source device, or the TV set, since you’ve got an Arc already working elsewhere. 

Might try unplugging the tv first or restart it in the settings. Then unplug or restart apple tv. If that doesnt work. I would reset the tv to default settings, pain because you lose everything but it has worked for me. Have sony 930e and 900f with numerous soundbars and resetting was the only way I could get arc working properly. Could play around with the arc settings on the tv also prior to resetting. Once you reset the tv to default then restart the apple tv. Then pray