Arc + Apple TV

• 25 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I just purchased and set up my sonos arc, currently I don't have my sub and other speakers yet, but Eventually in the coming months I'll have my new TV and sub more speakers etc. I plugged it in with the optical converter it came with for now since I don't have the hdmi arc. I have an appletv not the 4k kind just the regular one and I'm having trouble understanding what selections to choose for all the audio. My selections are tv speakers (hdmi) and arc so I chose arc. On the audio format there's a dolby digital 5.1 or stereo, do I choose stereo because I don't have my rear speakers and sub yet? When I go to watch a movie in hbo it reverts to the speakers labeled tv speakers and I have to manually check “arc” again. What am I missing /not understanding? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Jackayy, welcome to the Sonos Community, and thanks for all the details. I’ll be happy to help you out. I assume you connected the Sonos Arc to your TV using optical and the Apple TV is connected to the HDMI port of your TV? You just need to set audio output on your TV settings to external speakers/optical whichever option available to get the sound come out of the Sonos Arc. It’s better to use Dolby Digital even you don’t have surround speakers for a better sound experience. Hope this helps. We and the community are always here to help.

Yes that is true for both, but option for the audio output on my tv says “pcm” or “auto”.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Jackayy, thanks for your response. If that’s the case, I’d suggest leaving it in ‘Auto’ so it will just depend on your contents and how your TV can handle it. 

Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.